Thursday, February 27, 2014

why skunks and good friends go together (to me)

A few weeks after Macie passed away, a wonderful friend asked me if I wanted to start walking in the mornings with her. I said yes, with a little bit of hesitation. I had to put it off another couple of weeks because I was still in a lot of pain. (My recovery that time was horrible.) I don't like being cold (and this was right around Christmas time), I don't like exercising (in the moment; I like it generally), and I don't like to wake up before 6 a.m. Anyway, I didn't have the benefit of nursing to lose a few pounds so I knew it was up to me to get the baby weight off and I agreed. And I really really liked this friend. Cindy.


We walked almost every single weekday morning until March 31. I know that date because that was when we moved into our new (old) house (for the second time). Anyway, we walked and walked and walked, for about 45 minutes to an hour. It was dark and it was cold. Once I slipped on some ice and landed hard on my backside. I talked a LOT. She knew I needed a friend to talk to at that point, more than ever. She was a more seasoned mother than me, her husband was the Bishop, she was busy, yet she made time for me in a meaningful way that benefitted me in so many ways.


On two separate occasions while we were walking, skunks crossed our path. Maybe it was the same skunk, I don't know, but both times we were shaken enough to practically jump out of our skin. I had no idea how common skunks were around here (well maybe...I sure smell them a lot) but they clearly enjoy being out when it is dark and quiet.


Cindy told me a few months later that skunks reminded her of me, and I have realized the last few years that I feel the same way about her. :) Or, I feel the same way about skunks. I really admire this family; Spencer became a counselor to her husband (Bishop) and then they moved away a couple years ago. Now their oldest daughter is my Beehive advisor so I have the privilege of hearing her teach some of the most enthusiastic, random, hilarious girls ever.


Around New Years we all got the stomach flu. When I say "we all" I don't mean Spencer and Emma - they never get sick. Anyway, when my kids vomit all over their pillows I immediately throw their pillows away. THAT is not worth trying to salvage. I was outside throwing Tanner's pillow in the garbage, which was out on the street for garbage day, when a skunk ran right past me. After I composed myself I was glad I could find some humor in the moment and think of my friend.


Two mornings ago I woke up at 5:30 to the STINK of skunk. I was sure one was in my house. Come to find out, the entire neighborhood woke up with the same smell in their homes. I never found out what happened or where it was but I was visiting teaching with a friend that day and as we drove in my car we talked about it. Funny how skunks seem to be a common thing with me and my friends.


I will always love Cindy for being so clued in to what I needed those few dark winter months, for helping me be accountable to getting up and exercising, and for giving me something - someone - wonderful to think about whenever I smell that skunk smell.

2 comments:

Carly said...

I guess there is something good about skunks after all! :-)

jonna said...

I shared this blog post with Cindy. She replied back with "THANKS SO MUCH for sharing! Just last week I smelled a skunk and told Jim it always makes me think of Cheri!"