Thursday, February 6, 2014

a decade

This adorable TEN year old (no way am I old enough) had quite a birthday surprise.


It all started with us marching the kids home on Sunday after sacrament meeting, trying to act mad (or even just stern, or even just serious...but mostly trying not to laugh...). We sat them down and then told them to pack a bag because we were going to Grandma's house for Emma's birthday (the next day). As they screamed and jumped they also breathed a collective sigh of relief. And I did too; that surprise was now out in the open - phew. Emma told me when we were in the car that she had thought we were going to tell them I was pregnant. HA! Still laughing about that one.

We got to Grandma and Papa's right before dinner, and my mom had made the cutest jewelry box cake for Emma. We told her she could open ONE present that night, and I handed her the one she could open.
Yay, no more secret surprises to keep biting my tongue about! Having it be a surprise was actually really fun - the kids LOVED it and it made the celebration way better.

We have learned how to do Disneyland. And by that, I mean not having to pay those outrageous prices. Or not having to pay at all. But, I see how they can charge so much - Disneyland does it right. It has the details down to a perfect science.
We failed at our grand Cars Land plans on Monday morning but made up for it that night as well as on Tuesday morning.

Matt and Mary met us there and it was SO FUN to run around both parks with them. It was the best to be all together but was also helpful to split up a few times to maximize ride times.

Emma got a Birthday button so everyone wished her happy birthday. She declared it the best birthday ever, but I think I hear that every year.
My parents kept Sadie on Monday. That was huge; amazing how she is 15 months old and can drive me completely crazy but I still can't handle being away from her for even one day. On Tuesday when she was with us she was a nightmare... (this is on Tom Sawyer island, right before a duck bit her finger)
We got to ride Radiator Springs Racers THREE times, and once at night. Tip: If you go, you MUST ride it at night. We also learned some other secrets that helped us out (aside from fast passes); we never waited in those horrendous lines. All the other ride lines were under 15 minutes. Off season is the best! (And seriously, two days was PLENTY.)


I wish I could fairly make this a birthday tradition; the beginning of February is a great time to go! It was a fun, crazy 48 hours if I do say so myself! (But let's not talk about the traffic getting out of LA - this picture says it all):
Fun! I can't wait to go when Sadie will enjoy it.

So glad Emma was born - we all adore her.

5 comments:

Candice said...

You need to share your secrets for getting good deals on the tickets!

hales said...

Hooray for all of us getting to celebrate with Emma.

Carly said...

That pic of Sadie is hilarious.

What a fun birthday! Yay Emma!

Jen said...

SO cool. What an awesome trip!

breanna said...

Such a fun surprise!! And YES share your secrets! ;)