Saturday, June 29, 2013

what we do in the summertime

I love having my kids all home! But I always forget that when my big kids are here all day every day they expect to have lots of things to do. The routine that has become so commonplace with me and the little kids doesn't suffice for them, as it shouldn't. So it takes a little bit of planning.

My kids have jobs every single day, every day of the year. But they have more jobs in the summer because they are home more and contribute to the messes more. We have a system that works really well. Every Sunday night I write their jobs for each day on a white board. For some reason, if they see it up there that far in advance and know what is coming it doesn't seem daunting. As the week goes on I sometimes add things or move them around. But as long as it is in their column, it gets done. I have learned that the hard way.

These jobs are just what they do as contributing members of the family. They don't get paid. They include:
*Cleaning the bathroom.
*Taking the garbage out.
*Sorting, folding, and "delivering" the laundry.
*Loading and unloading the dishwasher.
*Cleaning their rooms and making beds.
*Watering the garden.
*Taking the garbage bins to the street/returning them to the side of the house.
*Emptying the recyclable items from the bin inside to the bin outside.
*Reading 30 minutes a day (they like this, but putting it down as a "job" makes them enjoy "jobs" a little more).
*Reading to Tanner. 2 books each, per day. This one is my favorite. Tanner's too.
*Cleaning the living room.
*Picking up the toy room.

When they want to earn money I am happy to give them other work:
*Cleaning the garage
*Vacuuming/cleaning out the car
*Weeding
*"Baby-sitting" Sadie
*Helping cook
*Other yard work
*Anything else I can think of

My kids have to get most of these things done before we play. Sometimes that isn't possible if the laundry isn't cycled through yet, etc., but so far it has worked really well.  They almost never whine about jobs. No negotiating, because it is on the whiteboard.
So what do we do for fun?
We go swimming, we go to the beach, we go on bike rides and go to the park, and new this year is our season passes to the local amusement park. It's only 20 minutes away, we got a steal of a deal, and we have already been 7 times. There is even a water park. I like it because with Sadie I can't be there too long, but going for 3 hours is always enough (short lines) and we don't have to stay long to "get our money's worth." And, we never spend any money there - the only expense is the gas. And lots of our friends have passes too - which is always more fun.

It's working out really well so far - a week and a half in. I must say that seeing both kids reading well beyond their 30 required minutes every day makes me smile - when I was a kid I always had my nose in a book. Thank goodness for libraries!!

We love summer!

2 comments:

Carly said...

Great ideas! Sounds like a fun (and productive!) summer. Love that "baby-sitting" Sadie is a job I'd want that one!

Dad said...

Great system. Your kids are being raised well.