Thursday, May 16, 2013

mother heart

I got to spend part of last week with most of the most important women in my life. I was with my mom, sister, niece, and two aunts (and Sadie of course). There is something so calming and strengthening about being surrounded by those who know more than me, and know different than me.

I have a lot of friends and family members who have had/are having fertility problems. I myself have never had those kinds of problems, but my heart knows the ache of wanting to hold a (certain) baby. Yet there are so so many people who have mothered me, and who have and who do mother my children. One dear friend (who has 4 kids of her own) decided to take on a project and chose my sweet Emma to "mentor" and help make a gift for me for Mother's Day. While it was apparent early on that she was working on something for me, I had absolutely no idea what it was. Emma was up late each night, working away in her room or at the neighbor's house getting more help.


And while I was out of town, she had the chance to finish this perfect masterpiece (pillow).

I feel like my entire heart is on this little pillow. Those handprints and that tiny heart are a perfect reminder of what fills up my heart so much it could burst. And what a great reminder to me that we can influence everyone around us just because we are women. Because it is inside of us. I am so so grateful to my dear friend who took the time to nurture Emma and help her make this special gift for me.

And for my friends who continue to long to be mothers in the truest sense of the word...in the meantime I am so grateful that they remind me what is most important. I have it all in front of me, and I need to remember to be oh so thankful. And to my friend who is not yet a mom, but had a cute little 2 year old with her today, taking care of her and watching over her, it looked so perfect.

5 comments:

Carly said...

That pillow is so awesome. The perfect gift.

Rachel said...

What a perfect gift. I teared up when I saw the picture. You are an amazing mom.

hales said...

So beautiful. Your kids, your friends, the pillow, etc.

jonna said...

<3

Misty said...

This really is so sweet. We know several people struggling with infertility, too. Being a mom is such a blessing.