Wednesday, May 8, 2013

halfway to one

Oh boy, is it ever true that as a parent the moments go by soooo sloooow but on the whole the time just whizzes by.

Alas, my sweet baby has been with us for half a year now. And I feel like I only just blinked. But then I remember how nights are STILL long and tedious, how I change so.many.diapers every single day (actually, very few of hers and very many of her older brother's), how she only likes me, and how I am virtually attached to this little human all the time.

I am still figuring her out. I spend so much time trying to keep her happy, and my other kids suffer a little in the process. It's good for them though, to wait their turn, to deal with crazy people (read: their mom), and to learn to share.

I hate parenting/baby books. I've read a lot of them and they never make me feel better. I have had lots of kids and none of them has fit any mold. After reading about 6 books when Tanner was small I vowed never again to mess with it. I know my baby best of all, and I know what is best. Even if I don't know all that well, I still know better than some doctor in a book.

Sadie is a baby who just NEEDS me. She needs more comfort, more physical touch than most. Than any of my others. Emma was Miss Independent and it's gone downhill from there. Sadie won't cry it out - she will cry her whole life if I let her. She just needs me (sometimes too much). Now that I can accept that I can move on. These last 48 hours since that realization have been liberating for me. That is who she is and someday I am certain I will miss being needed THAT much.

Anyway...
Sadie has one tooth, almost 2. She was an early-ish teether, like Emma. She used to sleep 8-hour stretches at night but now she barely makes it 3. I don't know what it feels like to wake up rested, and I imagine it will take a while longer for me to remember. She thinks Tanner is the funniest person alive, she admires Tyler, she likes to play with Emma, and she admires her dad from afar. She adores me, still. It's endearing, I must say. She can sit up (hooray), she still only poops once a week (!), and she has a great personality. She is BUSY. She is 16 lbs 13 oz. I can't wait to see what the next 6 months bring us. Because truly, it can only go up.


We sure love this girl.

4 comments:

GHFamily said...

She reminds me so much of Michael. He was so stubbornly a mama's boy that it felt exhausting at times. I am sure he spent his first year screaming every time he wasn't being held by only me. Alas, he is 16 now and I survived and so did he.

hales said...

Love that smiley little face.

Misty said...

Babies can be so hard, but they always have the sweetest moments that save them during all of those less than sweet moments! She really is THE CUTEST!

Misty said...

I just tried commenting and it disappeared so sorry if this shows up twice!

Babies can be SO hard. They are lucky they have some very sweet redeeming moments that save them from all of the not-so-sweet moments. She is seriously THE CUTEST!