Thursday, May 30, 2013

20 days

I am giddy, and I am annoyed. In just 20 days my kids will be done with school for the summer (hooray for ALL of us), but this is our shortest summer yet as school starts a week earlier in the "fall" (it's really still summer), and we get out so late this year. I feel jipped already. BUT! Having the big kids home makes life so much more fun and easy.

And while I am thrilled by the idea of having them home, I have some things I am rushing to get done before that last bell so that I can enjoy this summer and the crazy, fun things we have planned.

*I have wanted some cool-looking vintage suitcases for a while. Why? I don't really know. Maybe to use ONCE in a photo shoot. After that there are no guarantees. Emma and I were driving to a baby shower a couple weeks ago and I saw some ugly vintage-y black suitcases (?) outside someone's house that said "free" so I slammed on the brakes and made Emma grab them (I am pretty sure my mom would be so proud). They are still sitting, dirty, in my garage. I have grand ideas of how to make them look like this... so I should get on that pronto.


*I want to paint something! Because I am not in the position to take on a bedroom or other "big" room, I am thinking of doing one of the smaller bookshelves. I even have the spray paint. Now to find the time and energy to make it happen. (Painting one of the chocolate brown ones turquoise...)

*Exercise! This might actually get easier once my kids are home. I have grand intentions of running a few miles a couple times a week. Then I'm up half the night, I'm holding a baby who is so cute but doesn't want to be put down for even a split second, then I'm getting kids off to school, and then I am using her precious 20 minute naptime to shower... Once I have a few more hands I can surely exercise, but it would be nice to start now. Anyone exercise at night? I have done that a few times but I hate showering twice...and I prefer to run before eating for the day. I would love to get a few more pounds off though. It doesn't just fall off after #5.

*Organize. I have so many bins of too-big/too-small clothes that need to be swapped in or out. Crowding in the bedrooms is a real thing. Too-small bedrooms never bothered me until now. Gotta get on that.

*Baseball/piano wrap-ups. Both of these GOOD things are almost over. Happy and sad about that.

*Sleep training  I shouldn't even list this because it's a joke and nothing works, but I am determined to crack Sadie's "code" and get her sleeping. I can't fathom what sleeping more than 5 hours feels like because I can't remember anymore, but that is the goal! It would be nice to have her sleeping this summer...just to interrupt her schedule twice a week and mess her all up again. :)

Bring on summer!

4 comments:

Mark and Kim said...

I like exercising at night because I'm just too tired to in the morning and never know when Tessa will wake up. But at night, I know she'll stay asleep while I'm gone. Then I look forward to not having to take a shower in the morning because I showered the night before!

hales said...

I agree with Kim. I used to run at night with friends.

At least you have awesome passes to Great America where the kids are going to have too much fun all summer!

Carly said...

Okay, the summers have seriously been getting shorter and shorter. I swear in 10 years they'll be gone completely!

Those suitcases are awesome.

GHFamily said...

Showering twice has been routine for me for 25 years. Go for it. Squeeze in exercise whenever you can.