Monday, April 22, 2013

teams

There is something rewarding in being part of a team.

We really push team sports in this family. We have toyed around with putting the kids into other things, just to try (like Emma in gymnastics), but we always come back to keeping them on teams as much as possible.

Two weeks ago at Tyler's baseball game his team was down by 1 run. We were at bat. There were two outs. Tyler was up. Pressure! I said to Spencer, "Do you think he realizes how important this right now?" I thought about yelling to Tyler just how important his turn was...but Spencer held me back, not wanting Tyler to have such added pressure in that moment. He ended up hitting and barely getting onto first base before being tagged. The bases were loaded and - go figure - the next batter struck out. One successful hit would have put our runner in to tie the game, and our next batter to have been up is the most consistent on the team, almost always hitting a double or triple. We could have won.

But that didn't matter. It was so exciting - we had already come back from being down 9-2. The last two innings were so close and it was probably (to date) my most favorite game to watch. No one on the team got upset with the boy who struck out. The coaches congratulated each player. No one felt at fault for not pulling their weight. There were no "what ifs" according to the players and coaches. And Tyler even got the game ball. I can't describe my pride in those moments. Every time he wins a game ball Spencer and I BOTH have to hold back tears. About something so insignificant (seemingly) as a baseball!


I've been thinking about our family as a team recently. How we don't (shouldn't) yell and holler when one person makes a mistake. How, instead, we can say "nice try" and pick each other up and move on. And there is still victory with every event. There is always a silver lining. There is always a game ball. I love that Tyler got the game ball from a game that they lost. He still played awesome and scored 3 RBIs. One setback isn't a failure. We can always find the good.

I want my kids to be there for each other. I want us all to always advocate for each other. This family thing is a team sport. We are not always at our best. We win, we lose, we get tired, we have moments of weakness. But we cheer for each other no matter what. One of our coaches is named Macie. I often wonder if she gets frustrated with us. Does she ever have to bite her tongue? It's an interesting thought. My head can get spinning if I think too long and hard about that.

For now, during the long baseball season, I am so pleased with team sports. Some of the best lessons are learned on the field. I love what it is teaching Tyler. But really, what it is teaching all of us in this game of life.

2 comments:

jonna said...

profound.

hales said...

Macie might not be just a coach, but the best cheerleader also. It really does matter if your "team" "wins". Go Wirthlins!