Friday, April 5, 2013

break

When Emma was 15 months old and I was 5 months pregnant with Tyler, we went to Washington DC in April. I find it funny that what I most remember from that trip was Emma having a total blowout while we were in Arlington National Cemetery and I had to change her next to the headstones on our walk to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
(Just because I happened to find an old picture from that trip, here it is. I was pale and Spencer looks so young!)


And perhaps what I will remember most from this most recent Spring Break camping trip is that Sadie cried. MAN, that girl cries. My parents say it is payback because I cried all the time as a baby, but this makes my 3rd that cries constantly (though Sadie takes the cake for the worst). Last week Tanner finally said, "Mom. Sadie is just crying because she misses Macie." He said it so matter-of-factly that I told him he was probably right. So that is what I will choose to believe. Because it just may keep me from killing her. (I won't even go into what a horrible sleeper she is, because in a year that won't matter and she will be a perfect angel like my other kids.)

Anyway, this is not about Washington DC and messy diapers, or about crying babies. I hope I can remember everything else - the fun stuff - about our 2-day trip. I hope I can remember how hard Spencer works when we take the motorhome out (because I complain about "all the work"), how much planning he puts into each detail of our itinerary, how Tanner thinks everything is so exciting and how he called himself "Rescue Tanner" the whole time, and how my big kids are such a big help. We went to Point Reyes national seashore, because it was relatively close (gas prices are crazy, people!) and because we haven't been there yet. I got anxiety just thinking about having all six of us (but mostly just Sadie) in the motorhome.

We got there late on Easter night, and the recent rain had left lots of mud. Pretty much saw nothing driving in, and went to bed. The next day we explored the outside of the point, where the lighthouse is and where Drakes Bay/Beach is. We were determined to see a gray whale, and when we heard that 35 had been spotted the day before we felt confident. After looking for a few minutes we decided we weren't going to wait around. So no whale sightings. The lighthouse was meh and we had two huge, steep ramps and 320 stairs to walk back up. Emma was the animal here and powered up those stairs holding our bags. Spencer had a Tanner on his back and I had a Sadie on my front, and I think we are both just a little out of shape.




We drove over to Drake's Bay and while I fed Sadie everyone else went to see the elephant seals. When I was in the car a coyote got really really close.

My poor baby got a little sunburned.

Spencer and the other 3 kids went to an Indian Reservation. 4 of the 6 of us fell asleep in the motorhome for a late afternoon nap. I woke up drooling - gross.

Spencer made a fire and we did foil dinners and dutch oven cobbler. Spencer is perfecting the art of the dutch oven. Sadie kept me up all night.

The next day we decided to actually use the bikes we had brought. Because it was a really bumpy trail I kept sadie in the Bjorn and we walked the trail while everyone else rode. It was quiet, but I enjoyed the quiet as she slept against me and as I wrapped my sweater around her. Those quiet moments are few and far between, and it was great to have my thoughts to just myself for about 30 minutes.

(That thing has been the best purchase ever.)

We packed up the motorhome and headed back. I drove the van alone (!!) and left Emma in charge of the two littles in the motorhome. I do not and will not ever drive that beast. Apparently it went really well in there. Of course it did. (She slept on Emma.)

Just because things are hard and take a TON of work and patience doesn't mean they aren't fun or worthwhile. This is something I need to remind myself. Sadie can't cry all the time forever (right?) but this is a time I sure enjoy in spite of that.

Spring Break. I love it. Whether on the East Coast or on the West.

5 comments:

Carly said...

I glanced at the first picture without reading anything yet and thought, "WOW you guys don't look a day over 20!" :-) Also, Emma dresses dang cute for camping.

Kristina and Tyson said...

Wow! Loved the picture of your 4 kiddos infront of that beach!!! Sounds like such a fun trip! I so want to come with yall on a trip in the motorhome! I wish I could come cuddle that cute little Sadie! Only a month more and I can meet her!!!!

House of Tong said...

Cheri you hottie you. 5 kids and all! :))

hales said...

I, too, noticed Emma's zebra print shoes for camping. And painted nails. Go Emma!!

Jen said...

What fun memories! I remember hiking down to the Pt Reyes lighthouse when I was a young teenager and that gorgeous view of the coast from the top. The motor home sounds like a *dream* (beastly, but nice, right? :) ).