Wednesday, September 5, 2012

my normal

I have been thinking a lot about this post lately.  I truly don't know why, as I wrote it 3 1/2 years ago, other than the fact that I once again find our normal changing. Don't get me wrong; I still have train tracks running all over my house. In fact, I find my house just getting more and more cluttered, with toys spilling out of the "toy room" every second of the day. I really do remember writing it though...sitting on the corner of my bed, feeling the change that we anticipated while we waited the 4 long months to close on our first house and send our oldest to school for the first time.

I think back fondly (or not so fondly) to when I had one, or two, little babies. How getting out was a chore, how everything was so far away (in Massachusetts), how I was so physically tired, how Spencer worked all the time... Hmm, maybe things really aren't that different now, except that Costco is a whopping 6 miles away and everything else is within 2 miles. But now we have no choice but to get out, to be busy. Now I have at least one thing to take the kids to every single day of the week, besides school, lots of games/practices, busier callings, homework, piano, a house to maintain, and barely any free time. It's just a new season of life.

School started today. Remember this, from June?


I miss that feeling we all had. Especially as one of my kids was in tears with anxiety last night.

I have been thinking about how to make this school year even better. I want all of us to be our best selves when we are actually together. The kids get wiped out at school and when they get home it's often a mad dash. I am really hoping to not be the crazy, busy, nagging mom when they get home...to have things under control--including dinner--so that our few hours together each day are as chaos-free as possible. I think if I am happy and am not a stress case, they will be the same. They feed off me more than I care to admit.


Here we go. I'd better not get too comfortable here, as THIS normal is quite temporary.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Life is so fleeting, huh? I feel the same way lately -- crazed, nagging mom -- and I still can't crack my to-do list. Maybe I should just throw it away! They grow up so fast.

Carly said...

could your kids be any cuter!? hope they loved their first day back!

Kristina and Tyson said...

Love this...a thing I need to remember is that yes, I think my life is busy right now...I need to just wait. I admire you to make your full effort to make your time together as chaos free as possible. Makes me want to join you in that cause. Thanks! By the way, I love your kids SO MUCH!! Give them a big hello from Aunt Kristina!