Tuesday, April 10, 2012

junk room turned toy room

March was a big RE-ORGANIZE month for me. I still don't quite know what got into me. I went through closets and shoes, trying to cut back on the clutter and on the crap. We have been in this house for 3 years now, and before that we had moved at least once a year. Moving was my way to de-clutter before, so I needed to do something about all the 3-year-accumulated stuff we had.

We have this great room between our kitchen/dining room and the garage - a HUGE laundry room. One side was always for the laundry stuff and the other was for junk. We had a couch that pulled out to a bed in there but it has only been used ONE time in 7 years so we decided it was no longer necessary. And by "we" I mean me. Spencer had his "office" in there as well, but with how often he works from home (almost never), I made the executive decision that he did not need an office.

We had two desks in here, so we got rid of the big one. We got rid of the couch, bought this 5x5 storage shelf thing, and moved the toys out of the kids' rooms (their rooms were ALWAYS messy) and into our new toy room. Spencer was sure the novelty would wear off but it hasn't! Tanner can often be found with his cheek on the floor, pushing trains or cars around. The kids play with pet shops and Legos in here now.

Before:





And the after...



I put a cork pinboard on the side of the shelving unit and decided to make it a little cuter. Spray paint!

The best part is having a toy room off my kitchen!! They ("they" meaning Tanner) can see me, and they still feel like they are close to me or next to me and aren't missing out by being on the other side of the house in their bedrooms.

I love it!

6 comments:

Natalie N said...

I love it too!! NICE work!! :)

Carly said...

Wow! The kids must be in heaven! Oh, and I definitely want to steal your cork pinboard idea- cute!

hales said...

I laughed when I saw Tanner standing there without pants. But of course . . .
The room looks great! Can't wait to see it.

Jen said...

Oh, how wonderful to have a room with a door that large for toys! Yeah for reorganizing!!

jonna said...

looks awesome! that space is a treasure in your house - especially because of where it's located. can't think of a better use for it! high five!! (love the rug, too!) i'm surprised you didn't paint first! ;-) jk!

House of Tong said...

And how did you hold yourself back from not painting this room again during your makeover? ha