Tuesday, December 6, 2011

sugar cookies

I've been telling people for years that my mom's sugar cookie recipe is the best. I've tried several others, including those ones with so much butter they are dense and...just taste like butter. Those ones might keep their shape perfectly, but I'd rather have one that tastes like perfection and maybe doesn't quite look like it. These are fluffy and soft and oh so good. Try them this Christmas! (Like I just did. The YW are decorating them tonight.)


A few months ago my mom asked for the recipe because she doesn't really use a recipe and goes by memory whenever she makes these. I sent it to her and she was clear in her response that the recipe is not hers. I can still vouch for her cookies being GOOD, but these ones are too and now I don't know where the credit goes. I guess it can go to me!

Sugar Cookies
3/4 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 spoon-sized dollop sour cream
3 1/4 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt

Mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in cream cheese and sour cream. Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix. Chill for several hours or overnight. Roll out in sections, using flour as necessary. Cut out with your favorite cookie cutters. Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes.

Frost with canned frosting or homemade...up to you! (I do both.) Happy baking!

9 comments:

Carly said...

Yay! I am also so disappointed in sugar cookies since mom's are the best so I'm glad you have another good one!

Laura H. said...

I was about to ask you for Mom's recipe since I knew you'd supposedly gotten it. I'll have to try these ones b/c I've had no good luck with sugar cookies. Thanks!

Dad said...

Okay -- for MY cookies, I would double that recipe, (and change a couple of the measurements) add no sour cream, and NO baking soda or other leavening. And I like mine thickish. Just sayin'.
-Mom

GHFamily said...

Yum! Thanks!

Cheri said...

mom, today was the first time i added the sour cream at all!! i liked it.

M&M said...

I just made a batch and the dough is delicious!! I can't wait to try them! We are coconut freaks so I added a little coconut flavoring, hopefully that doesn't ruin them :) Did you notice a difference with the sour cream?

Cheri said...

I didn't notice much with the sour cream; you can omit and it probably won't do a thing.

Rachel said...

I love that you posted this! I've been looking for a good sugar cookie recipe for years. I can't ever seem to find one that I really like, so I'm excited to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

P.S. I love the new picture of your family. You look SO good and happy.