Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gotta be the good life

With all the chaos around me this week, my kids managed to bring me back to the true spirit of Christmas and what it's about. I've been so busy shopping, preparing for parties, YW lessons, nativities, neighbor gifts, class parties, etc. that I haven't spent a lot of time enjoying just thinking about Christmas and spending precious time with my little family.

It's easy to get caught up in the credit card, to buy something online in a matter of seconds with a memorized card number, and move on to the next thing. Last week Emma decided to spend every single dollar she had ($5) on Tyler when she found a gift she knew he would absolutely die to have. She had wanted to spend her money on some cute stuff at a boutique, for herself, but once she saw that thing for Tyler, she didn't even think twice. Better, she didn't ask me to chip in or help at all. She sacrificed her wants for her brother, and did it so happily.

All week Tyler has been asking me to take him shopping to buy Emma's Christmas present. It didn't work out to go at all this week because we just didn't have the chance, but I was free yesterday at 8 a.m. and he jumped at the opportunity. He had a whole $10 and he was determined to spend all of it on her. After choosing two really thoughtful and sweet things for her, he still had $3 left over and kept looking for something else to buy her. When we got home and he showed his dad his gifts for Emma he was absolutely beaming.  It really humbled me. Spencer was in awe at how genuinely happy Tyler was to be giving something to Emma that he had worked hard to save for, for two months. Sacrificing makes it all the more worth it. I can't wait to see their faces on Christmas morning when they open their gifts from each other.

Of course gift giving isn't the real reason for the holiday, but I feel like they brought me back to earth. I love having these selfless, pure children as my own.

However, lest you think it's roses and rainbows here all the time, let me remind you of our reality. Maybe my big kids are pretty darn near perfect children, but Tanner is a good balance and reminds me that no one is perfect. :) He's not a big fan of picture-taking, or anything else really...




But we did manage to get one where he wasn't crying, so it instantly became our Christmas card. A Christmas miracle indeed.

Merry Christmas, friends. May you remember what all the December chaos is really about.

3 comments:

Carly said...

Those pictures made me laugh. Love your family!

GHFamily said...

Great picture! Your hair is getting so long!

Natalie N said...

Oh those pictures of Tanner screaming were TOO much! How could a little angel face be so sad?!!? He's adorable!

Loved your post about the magic of Christmas. Glad you guys are feeling better!
xoxo