Monday, November 7, 2011

all inclusive holidays

Yes, I realize we were just here...


But why not celebrate Thanksgiving with Christmas decorations up??  I love Thanksgiving, and I love Christmas. But I have ten times the amount of Christmas decorations than Thanksgiving ones. Our tree is always up before Thanksgiving (our target is November 15). I love eating Thanksgiving dinner in the midst of sparkly holiday decor. As a result, I sure do enjoy my Decembers.

So...I decided to add to my Christmas craft/decor collection! I was walking the kids to school last week and went past a neighbor's JUNK/trash pile. I saw lots of these Christmas lights (harder to find these days) and even though they looked awful I gathered as many as I could fit into the stroller. I spray painted them all silver and then bought 3 colors of glitter to decorate them. This wanna-be apothecary jar I made myself with $3 of materials from the thrift store - a glass bowl and a shot glass glass for the base (Emma asked me if people do bad things with those...).


And, I made a felt rosette Christmas tree and white wreath. The Christmas tree took forever but I really like how it looks. I used about 180 white circles, added some cranberries at the top and bottom, plopped it onto a candlestick and voila. Easy and cute.

And here is how Tanner spends a large part of his day. Even though he only naps for 47 minutes, I sure treasure that time. Man, I love this boy. Maybe he just isn't a sweater vest kind of person?
While I was at it I decided to just take care of something that's been bothering me for about a year. My entryway is really dark, as a result of almost no natural light. When we moved in I decided to paint the wall burgundy. I really liked it but lately it's made the entry seem even darker. So, on a whim (and without telling Spencer, which, believe me, was SMART), I chose the paint and dragged Tanner to the hardware store. While he ooo'd and ahhh'd over the 14 foot inflatable Santa Claus I got the materials and then painted it during his 47 minute nap that afternoon.

Here it was before (missing the mirror)...
And after...

I don't know if this is the exact color I was going for but I'm happy (and there's the white wreath I just made...).

I hope the desire to re-decorate is out of my system for another few months because now I have a bunch of stuff to do around the house... and I'm sick of Spencer calling me Martha.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness. I can't believe you are already getting ready for Christmas!!! I haven't even thought of Christmas yet. Maybe I better get on that because I know it will be here before I know it. Love your blue wall-- it does lighten it up quite a bit.

hales said...

Everything is beautiful!

Natalie N said...

I always love seeing what crafty projects you're up to!! GREAT stuff! I'd buy one of those white trees and hire you to paint my walls any day! :) You're inspiring me to use Shannon's nap time more efficiently.

Carly said...

those sparkly lights turned out great! i need to make some!

Lisa R.D. said...

Great ideas... I especially love your white tree. Your new entry-way color is fabulous!