Sunday, December 5, 2010

thrills

Do you enjoy thrill rides? I sure do. Or, used to. :) I grew up going to Knott's Berry Farm quite often. As a tween/teen, it was more fun than Disneyland (pre-California Adventure) because, plain and simple, the rides were better. My memories of Knott's Berry Farm include funnel cakes and rock candy, and rides such as Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, the soap box cars, the log ride, the spinny water ride that was supposed to be "under the sea," Boomerang and Montezuma's Revenge. We would go there for a day during family reunions in Newport Beach at "our" beach house, and we'd go with friends at other times. My aunt and uncle even took us with them when they went on their honeymoon! Without fail, I would barely be able to walk out of the park at the end of the night, purely exhausted.

I hadn't been back since before I had children. We were in LA for Thanksgiving last week and we went with my parents. It was so much the same as I remember, and so different at the same time. The Log Ride probably is still my favorite, and as we were in the log the smells of the water (do you know what I mean?) put me back 15 years! I was thrilled when Tyler said that it was also his favorite ride. Some of the rides I remember are gone, and lots of new ones are in their places. I only went on a few rides, but one of them was intense and crazy, and right before we took off I said to my mom: "What am I doing? I have 3 kids!"

My kids were happiest on the kiddie rides in Camp Snoopy. I am coming to terms with the fact that they don't share my feelings of excitement with scary rides. Spencer even said, "Sorry. They're kinda like me." But, watching them on even the little rides still made me happy; they ate it all up just like I used to. I even forgot my camera back at home (my home) and I must say that not reaching for my camera every few minutes really helped me appreciate the fun they were having in that moment and I wasn't missing things while getting the camera ready. (At the same time, I SO appreciate that my mom had her camera and was taking pictures...)

At the beginning of the year I was determined to enjoy the journey a little more. We did some incredible things this year and went some amazing places, and I really feel like we got the most out of it. It's been exhausting and fun and such a thrill, and I can honestly say it's been a great time.

4 comments:

Mark and Kim said...

Oh the memories! Didn't we used to try to stand up on the log ride to set off sensors to tell us to sit down? I'm glad I got to go with you guys a few times growing up!

Sierra Parke said...

We love Knott's Berry Farm too. In fact, we will be going in a couple weeks with Conan's whole family. It will be Tennyson's second time (he was too little to remember the first time) and Asher's first. You have such a beautiful family and you look amazing, Cheri!

GHFamily said...

Knotts is our favorite too.

Janene said...

I used to go to Knotts BErry Farm as a kid too! It's fun in a different way than Disneyland. When there on vacation, Peter rolled his eyes when I said we should try Knotts with the kids sometime. He just doesn't get it. :o)