Sunday, December 12, 2010

the season

I love this Christmas season. And I love the season of life I am smack-dab in the middle of.
Life events usually cause us to step back and take a look at our lives. Before Tanner was born I knew my life would have to slow down. I think we all know that life doesn't actually slow down with a baby but it definitely has caused me to re-evaluate and change my priorities. I don't get a whole lot done around the house anymore because I would rather play with Tanner. And I'm totally ok with that. This is probably my favorite age - 5 months - because babies are so fun and interactive at this age. He will only be 5 months old one time. Who cares if my floors need mopped?

I have to keep telling myself that just because there are a hundred good things I can be doing, the more things I take on the more things will pile up and knock at my door. I have to prioritize the best things. I can't help with every teacher request, and I can't help with every class party. I can't do everything. I've noticed that if I am really busy it takes a toll on my kids. And as much as I sometimes loathe the things that go along with having little kids, I really treasure the small moments. I treasure almost everything, including the messy diapers. Those messy diapers mean he's healthy. Being up in the middle of the night with the baby means that we have alone time that is quiet and is just the two of us. Listening to him cry (a lot) means he's got good lungs. Working on homework means I get to teach my kids how to do math and how to sound out words.

I love this season of life. I love that things don't come easy for us, that we have to struggle sometimes, that we go through trials, and that we get to see the small miracles that inevitably follow. I love that I get to stay home with them during this most critical time when they are little and are so mold-able (even if it means driving a 13 year old car), and that I get to help shape who they are becoming.

I also treasure the Christmas season. I love how it makes us all feel. There's lots of baking and eating and talking and wrapping. Here are some other things making me happy:
*The gorgeous Christmas lights Spencer and the kids spent so long putting up outside. Every night Tanner and I walk around outside and watching his eyes dart around to all the lights brings a smile to my face.
*I get to enjoy my little family at home for Christmas this year. The kids are getting some pretty awesome stuff for Christmas, and I can't wait for Christmas morning.
*Spencer gets to use his 2nd paternity week (haha, finally!) over the holidays. Just in time, and right before his work schedule gets crazy for the next 9 months.
*My little brother has been in Australia for 2 years and gets home just after the new year, so I get to be with my family - all of them - to welcome him home. I am so excited to see and talk to him, and to introduce him to his newest nephew.
*I get my two school-aged kids home with me for TWO WEEKS. I can't say how excited I am for this; I really enjoy them and would much rather have them home with me than away. I am so lucky to have kids I truly enjoy being around.

And even though it's at the top of my blog now, I am about to make another blog book so I want it in a post - here is our family Christmas picture. Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Misty said...

You are such a good mom. Such a different tune you are singing than the one I sang the other day about how I may not have any more kids because they were making me crazy! =) I think reprioritizing is something we should all do - especially me! Thanks for writing this!

Very cute family picture! I love it!

Jen said...

You have a beautiful family -- in so many ways!!!

Dad said...

I agree that you are in the best season. Mom and I are also in our best season. Our gospel centered prospective constantly puts us in the best season. It just gets better.

The Rich Family said...

Merry Christmas. I do love this season as well. I agree..WHo cares if the floors are mopped??? The barrelling giggle is alot more fun than mopping. Miss you guys!!!