Monday, December 20, 2010

like mother, like daughter

Emma,

Today you made me extra glad to be your mom. I've always felt like you, specifically you, were sent to me. You have impressed me so many times. I can't imagine a better daughter.

You're so much nicer and kinder than I ever was as a child. However, there are so many areas where we are just the same. Your dad tells me you and I "snuggle the same way." We both take a long time to really wake up. Your dad also says we have the same attitude (that's ok, I promise you it will come in handy, just maybe not with him). We like shopping, especially when it's just the two of us and we find a good sale. We both have a soft spot for babies. We both like to cook goodies, and also eat them. I love that we enjoy doing these things together. But, as I said, today I noticed that you might be taking after me in another way. Even though your strongest subject right now is math (and it was never my strongest), you love words. Writing. I was an avid journal-writer, even when the things I wrote were silly and juvenile. I'm not the best at keeping up with my journal anymore, but I am pretty good about recording the important stuff.

I still have all my old journals. I don't always like to read them because they're so silly, but I am glad I have them. Today you were given a journal by our neighbor. Sure enough, when I sent you to bed tonight you asked - as you do every night - if you could stay up and write for a few minutes. When you pulled out your new journal and opened the first page I couldn't help but feel proud. I was even more proud when you came out and showed me what was on that page. You decided to title it "Emma's stories." You wrote about our family, telling a little about each of us and including our ages and birthdays; and you got them all right. You even included your little sister, reminding me that you know just what an important member of our family she is.

I saw a bit of myself in you tonight, as you wrote what you felt. I know you're going to record some wonderful and important (and probably some not-so-important) things in that book, and I hope you will keep it - your very first journal, with green and purple elephants on the cover - forever.

Thanks for reminding me just how important the small stuff can be.

2 comments:

Carly said...

Cute. :) I love Emma's notes.

hales said...

Emma is AWESOME!!!!