Sunday, January 24, 2010

that person

Spencer and I decided about 15 months ago that life really is a miracle. I know we should have realized that a lot sooner considering we had two kids whose pregnancies and births went on without incident, but we didn't. One of those things we took for granted, I guess. But now, every time a baby is born - alive and healthy - I find it a complete miracle. There are so many things that can go wrong. The fact that more often than not things go right just blows me away.

I feel like I've become that person that people go to when someone they know goes through something similar to what we went through. And you know what? I actually like being that person. It causes me to think about Macie, which, admittedly I don't do as much as I used to. It reminds me how precious life is.

Last year, two of my former YW who are now in college emailed me because one of their friends was in labor about to deliver a son who had passed away in utero. They wanted advice on what to do. Last summer, one of my friends had been told the baby she was carrying had a disorder that would most likely prevent him from living more than a few hours after birth. I thought about her daily and I know thousands of prayers were said on her behalf. That baby was born perfect and healthy - a true miracle. I still get teary when I see him. She had to go through a lot. And, just last week, another friend emailed me because she had a friend in labor, only 20 weeks along. I found out today that baby was born today and only lived a short time.

All these things cause me to reflect on my own life. They make me, if only for a minute, appreciate my children (all of them) so much more. They make me remember just how precious life is. So, while my heart breaks for these other people, it doesn't cause me pain to think about it or talk about it. I think it puts things in perspective for me.

But for that lady who lost her baby this week...my heart sure hurts for her.

6 comments:

jksfam said...

Thank you for your perspective. It truly is a miracle that anyone is born "normal"! SO many things can happen during that process! I'm glad that things are getting "easier" for you. My brother and his wife had a stillborn baby - full-term 2 days after their 1st anniversary (when they were sealed). They have 2 other children and are expecting another in a little over a month. I have a brother that died when he was 3 1/2. I was 5. I know that time helps, as well as an eternal perspective! I'm glad that you have been able to help others!!!

Gary and Michelle said...

This is why we are here. To help each other. "To mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort." And how much easier is that to do when you have been through it yourself. Love ya!

Laura H. said...

It's interesting how there is a cycle there. When I first heard about Macie I called a friend whose baby lived only a few days. I worried about asking her about such a tender subject - hoping I wouldn't be causing her unneeded pain. It's good to hear your thoughts about it. To me it seems like your ability to comfort others is a way to honor Macie.

Lisa R.D. said...

I really appreciate your post today... my friend just lost her baby yesterday (at 39 weeks) and I have been thinking about you all day... I've been grateful for your insight in past posts and I think often about the wisdom that you have shared on various occasions. Thanks for putting things in perspective for all of us.

Natalie N said...

Great perspective, Cheri. Life really is a miracle. I totally agree with the 3rd comment above--stated beautifully--that you comforting others is a way to honor Macie. We're thinking of you!
xoxo

Jamie said...

Cheri, I'm glad you're "that person" too. Thanks for your help. It is amazing that a tragedy in someone's life can really be a blessing in others. You're great!

I've been reading Running With Angels which makes me realize how having 4 kids without serious health problems is such a miracle. I really have nothing to complain about. I'm trying to complain less.