Sunday, October 25, 2009

our little corner of heaven

Thank you to everyone for your comments and notes. I had a really hard week - I was so emotional and was so worried about how I would feel today. But I felt fine. I felt a lot of peace, and I think I only got slightly teary one time. I guess the lead-up to today was way worse than the actual day.

After church we started on dinner and got everything ready to go to the cemetery. We had to get balloons last night and they were getting a little...sad. Emma wrote notes all over them. Spencer and Tyler did the traditional pumpkin-carving with an "M" for Macie.

I must say that today is one of the most beautiful fall days, just like how it was one year ago. It was warm, the sky was blue, and the cemetery was so peaceful. Rarely are we the only ones there, but today we were. Imagine my surprise as we pulled up and there was a huge, gorgeous bouquet on her headstone. My sweet friends had left it there for me, and the tag even included what is on her headstone - "Our little angel Macie." The flowers reminded me of her casket flowers - just beautiful. I have such wonderful friends. There was also another basket of fall flowers, with the tag "Sunday Will Come." What precious words those are, for so many reasons (besides the fact that our Bishop used that talk for his talk at Macie's funeral last year).
Photobucket

Here are the balloons, which barely made it above the trees, and surely came down a block or two away. They needed some serious prodding. At least they made it out of sight. Wow, I am looking forward to being able to buy balloons on the actual day of her 2nd bday next year.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I love that Emma kicked off her shoes and made herself comfortable on the grass. Tyler asked if Macie was smiling. We sang her Happy Birthday and ate her pink cupcakes, then took some pictures. It was fun and simple and peaceful. And perfect.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

12 comments:

Natalie N said...

I love it all. What a special day for your family. Your description made it sound like a little slice of heaven. Glad you were feeling peaceful today. We love you guys!
xoxo

Janene said...

What beautiful pictures. I'm glad that it was a non-rainy day and that you had the place to yourselves. Hugs to you and Spencer and the kids!

siovhan said...

Cheri, I love you, lady. I'm glad it was such a beautiful day for you all. I'm positive Macie appreciated all the love and care she was shown from her loving family! And how great that Emma was so comfortable with the situation!

Ellice said...

Know that we are thinking of you and your family. Your strength and faith are truly an example to us all.
Thank you for sharing such a tender moment in your lives.

GHFamily said...

Thank you Cheri for sharing your day with us.

Melanie said...

I'm glad the day was peaceful for you. It WAS such a beautiful fall day. I can't believe it's been a year already. Love the pumpkin tradition and I love your family picture--- you sure are good at the timer... I need you to show me on my camera.

Ben and Ashley said...

Looks like it was a fun party! I think Macie was enjoying it too. I am so glad it was a good day for you guys. We were thinking about you all day!

Kristina and Tyson said...

I love the last family photo...you all look wonderful! I'm glad it turned out to be such a beautiful day and thanks for sharing all the pictures...we wish we lived closer but are glad that we can keep in touch and up to date this way. The flowers are ALL gorgeous!

The Reichmans said...

I am so glad you spent the day celebrating who she would have been. You are amazing and I am so sorry you have had to endure such a difficult thing. You are such an example of strength. I always get teary eyed when I read your posts about her because you can feel how much you love her. I hope each day continues to get a little bit easier.

Lisa R.D. said...

Your last post had me all teary eyed... and then I read this and I am weeping openly. I can't imagine the hardness of what you have gone through... but your ability to keep it in perspective and feel peace and know without a doubt that you will be with her again are inspiring for us all. I think every person fears going through something like this... and I am grateful to know that there are so many good people who not only survive, but thrive. I don't think you'll know how much your situation touches our lives... I've been thinking about you so much these last few months and have felt grateful to have been able to feel a small part of your strength.

Mark and Kim said...

What an amazing family you have. This made me cry and cry! I thought of you both Sunday and Monday. My heart (and tears) go out to you!

Kristen said...

What beautiful photos- Macie is so lucky to have such a wonderful, loving family.