Tuesday, October 20, 2009

in her own words

You know, sometimes I have a really crappy day. Not often, but sometimes. Yesterday was one such day. But then something happened to turn it all around.

Emma has had a loose tooth for...a year? It sure feels like it's been that long. She finally was so over the loose tooth thing, and asked me to pull it out. Ew. But hey, taking out some frustration on another person's mouth didn't sound too bad. After a few tugs that weren't super successful (hey dad, I need you to teach me how to make that flexible knot out of dental floss), I stuck my fingers in and pretty much got it out. One more small tug later, and our family's (I mean, Emma's) first baby tooth was lost!


Well, Emma had a cute little container to stick that tiny tooth in. But - no joke - not 20 minutes later, the container was missing! We looked for it unsuccessfully. I wish I was quicker on my feet, but I did tell her we would write a note to the tooth fairy and ask her to still come and leave Emma some money, and we would find the tooth later for her. Emma seemed ok with that. I sent the kids to bed.

Before I went to bed I went in to, ya know, do the tooth fairy thing. There was the note from me, and then I saw one that Emma had written to her. And man oh man, seeing this note to the tooth fairy totally turned my day around.

Dear Tooth Fairy,

Find it.

Emma


Thanks for the laughs, Emma.

12 comments:

Dad said...

I can think of so many lessons I learn from that little girl. Trust, delegation, and responsibility. But mostly faith.

PS – Cheri, I don't remember ever being able to get anywhere near your mouth (with my flexible knot) when you had a loose tooth. Maybe because I botched your older brothers first extraction and seeing the blood permanently scared you.

jksfam said...

How cute is that?!? I hope it turns up soon!

hales said...

I told everybody in the dental office today about this cute story. Dr. Brown has offered a replacement tooth if you need it. :-)
(And I thought I was the one that pulled your teeth! You know, say you're going to count to three and then pull it out on "two." Just a trick of the trade.)

Cheri said...

Dad, i remember the floss string one year at newport. you tugged hard and it didn't come out, but then you just plucked it out with your fingers.

mom, i do remember you doing that too.

Kim said...

My aunt was the chief tooth puller. She was good. That note from Emma was great. Now that's a keepsake! haha ;)

Misty said...

how fun. my grandpa just sent me a letter that my mom had sent him with an attached note to the tooth fairy I had written with my first tooth. I asked for a dollar! =)

Carly said...

This story is hilarious. Oh how I love Emma! And nice picture, by the way. Ha.

Natalie N said...

"FIND IT" - Oh, I'm still giggling over here! What a great note and such a smart little girl! Loved this story! :)

Laura said...

After talking to you last night, Kyle wanted me to warn Emma that our tooth fairy leaves the money where ever the tooth is left! I hope yours is more generous.

Dylan CRIED. He wants to know when one of his teeth will please become loose.

I love the note!

GHFamily said...

This story made me remember that your mom pulled with her fingers Jesse's first loose tooth..and she did the 1-2-3, pull on 2 trick.

Kristina and Tyson said...

Seriously that little girl is smart! I just love that you took a picture of her note...we couldn't stop laughing! Have you found it yet? hope you do!

Britney and Jaron said...

That is so cute and adorable! Kids are seriously the best! You are an awesome mom to pull out her tooth. It makes me sick just thinking about it!