Tuesday, October 13, 2009

crying it out

A couple weeks ago when I picked Emma up from school, she saw me and burst into tears. Shocked, I sat her down and asked what was wrong. She didn't really know and started rambling through her sobs. She never was able to verbalize what was wrong. That afternoon Tyler had a playdate and Emma asked if she and I could go on a "date." I was happy for the chance to talk to her and find out what had been going on. She requested a shake at McDonald's. As we sat and drank our shake she told me just how wonderful school is. I kept thinking about how upset she had been just an hour earlier. I was confused.

I came to a conclusion: Emma is just a girl. I can't count the number of times I've cried for no real reason. Sometimes it just feels so good to get it out, and sometimes a bunch of gibberish comes out in the process of "crying it out." When I told Spencer what had happened, and then told him the conclusion I had come to hours later, he looked at me with a "duh" look. I guess he's put up with me and my emotions for 8 years so of course he gets it.

Now I can't stop wondering what it will be like when she's a teenager.

But for now, Emma, thanks for validating me.

8 comments:

GHFamily said...

For the past 6 years, I've taught about 275-300 girls a day.. and so, yes, Cheri... sometimes, they just cry.

Natalie N said...

I love it! You summed it up perfectly! Sometimes we girls just gotta get it out through the tears. Great post. :)

Janene said...

I think this is so true. I'm starting to see that boys are different. I'm learning that the best way to even get them to open up is to start a project together and ease into some conversation. (Just a little heads up for Tyler's sake maybe...)

Gary and Michelle said...

I think every few months we should just "cry it out". It might do us all some good.

The Howard Bolton Family said...

One of my favorite people said, "Young Women, Relief Society Sisters and girls in the Nursery all have things in common: They all need a good cry, a yummy snack, and their mommies." I totally fall into all of those categories. I am glad that she loves your strength, and would ask you to go on a "date" with her. Just being with you helped her to feel happy. Enjoy these times.

Kristina and Tyson said...

me too, Emma! Thanks for validating me too! You are a sweet mama to take her for a shake to chat...

Jamie said...

I've noticed this with Katie. Its nice to have someone to relate to.

Are you saying that Spencer gets this? I still get a lot of blank looks.

Jen said...

That is so funny! Lyndee, now 8, cries over everything. She'll cry for no reason and tell you that she has no idea why she is crying, but that she just can't stop! Some girls are just a little more emotional.