Monday, July 6, 2009

memory lane

Aside from the boring drive, we sure love visiting Salt Lake. I felt nostalgic as I drove by our old house so near the college where we met, and got to show Emma where her first house was. Tyler had to remind me that I was pregnant with him there, too. In fact, he says, "Mom, when I was pregnant with you..."

We also got to go here (temple) and check out the inside while it's open to the public. Very cool, and very beautiful. I was moved to tears a few times as I realized the significance of what my kids were getting to join in on for the first time in their lives. They were so good and I knew they were getting a little taste of what Spencer and I get all the time. And getting cookies afterward always adds a little something special.
Photobucket

We don't know when we'll see Nana and Grandpa again as they're moving away, so we had to get one more boating trip in. I just associate Utah with boating at Jordanelle. Last year Emma was the tubing queen - we could not get her off that thing. This year she bawled the entire time she was on the boat - she was so concerned about the tubers and that they would get hurt. I love love love this picture because you can see her grandpa's reaction in the mirror. It might be my favorite picture of the trip.
Photobucket

This year, Tyler was tube king. I have about 15 great pictures of him.
Photobucket

And of course, Spencer on the knee-board. (Notice the tongue. Tyler does that too. ALL the time.)
Photobucket

My wonderful sister agreed to join us. The kids adore her, so we were all glad she came along. (Shameless plug: She's beautiful and available.)
Photobucket

And since I am hardly ever in pictures...
Photobucket

It sure is fun to be with cousins and run like crazy. I love the blur in this one - it so illustrates what it was like for them to be running around and playing so intensely.
Photobucket

I also got a hair cut (there's a great place at Riverwoods where it's only $15 your first time!). I guess I've started a tradition of getting a hair cut on almost every trip, but I never get one at home. Then again, we all know the best hair stylists are here.

Favorite comments of the trip:

*While driving in the mountains we rolled down the windows. I inhaled deeply and said, "I love the smell of the forest!" Emma inhaled deeply and said, "Ew...it smells like...clean dirt!"

*Emma knows I don't like the "Why" question unless she's asking respectfully and for a good reason. Today when she asked me something silly, I said, "Why?" She took the chance and retorted with, "Mom, we don't ask why? in our family!!"

*Tyler was not just the tube king, but he was also the Wii king. I don't do video games, but think it's great that other people have them. Tyler outscored everyone in the house after only a few games. After each game, he would say "Mom, how much money did I win?" If only.

We were only gone 5 busy days, but we packed in a lot. And as always, it's so great to be home.
P.S. I do believe we'll go with painting the door black. Thanks for all the input!

11 comments:

hales said...

Everything looks like it was so much fun. Making memories is what it's all about.

Rachel said...

We were just in Utah as well for a wedding and loved being back there. You're right about the hair stylists. When I was still single and had money :) I would fly out to Utah to visit friends and always make a hair appointment while I was out there. I'm glad you guys had such a great trip!

Kim Walker said...

How fun! We went to the open house of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple! It's is beautiful! Are Spencer's parents moving? Where to? It was fun for us to go back a few weeks ago and reminisce about the early days in our marriage. What a great time!

Janene said...

it was great to be with you guys. Thanks for sending me those pictures.

Kristina and Tyson said...

I LOVE the picture of spencer and tyler on the tube...they look like father and son! Of course the one of Emma crying is hilarious...because of my Dad's smile...you're a great photographer and capture so much! I loved it and wish that we could have seen you guys while you were there!

Carly said...

I'm so glad you guys came down! So fun! Also, I love the top banner of your blog! Way cute.

Natalie N said...

Wow, only 5 days and you did all that? Your pictures are breath-taking. I can't decide on a favorite. Did you get a new lens? Something about all of these pictures are so crisp and stunning. Please share your secrets. Welcome home, and happy haircut!! :)

Gary and Michelle said...

Love the changes to the blog. Sounds like so much fun. I love going to the lake as long as I don't have to get in the water.

Laura H. said...

I'm jealous! Looks like you had a lot of fun. See you in a couple months!

THE GROWS said...

Looks like you guys had a fun trip to Utah. I love the way you decorated you house too.

the little mrs. said...

I love this! all of it.

Most especially "when I was pregnant with you."