Monday, January 7, 2008

When She Grows Up...

Emma wants to be a dentist. I giggled more this morning than I have in a while because my little girl gets the biggest kick out of a visit to the dentist. In fact, I hope she keeps up this slight obsession and can be MY dentist someday because everyone knows I need it.

I made a quick appointment for the two of us because I knew she needed a visit on her "record" before her 4-year checkup. We get to the waiting room and she can't sit down--she's that excited. We get called back and I get xrays. She watches in fascination, peeking around the corner when it's "safe." Then she gets a ride in the xray chair - of course she's having fun (no xrays for her for another year).

Next, on to my cleaning. That part makes me want to retch - it's just gross and gaggy. The nice hygenist chatted it up with Emma. When the hygenist put on her mask and gloves Emma said, "I have some of those at home! Can I wear them like you?" So on both sides of me were two chatty, giggly females - with a span of 50 years between them - wearing masks and stinky rubber gloves. The lady asked Emma every question imaginable and Emma sounded twice her age in her responses, and told her every single thing in the office was "beautiful." Then, because there is always mellow, elevator music playing in dentist's offices, Michael Buble's Everything came on. "OH! I LOVE this song!" *More giggles from me, while I try not to lose all my saliva down my chin.* So, the nice lady turns it up nice and loud, just for Emma while she bops along and sings to the music, still wearing her whole dental getup. Where is my camera when I need it? Not at the dentist office, that's for sure.

Then it's time for the dentist to come in and check HER out. She tells him his stool is beautiful (hello? Adjective of the day?), and she, of course, is told she has perfect teeth. Then it's my turn with the dentist. As I sit down in the chair she says, "Don't worry mama, everything is going to be ok." More laughter. (By this time, other office assistants had come to meet this hilarious little girl they'd heard about; I could hear a few of them talking about her in the hall.) Once I was done, she told him one more thing was beautiful and she got some balloons and we were on our way. Now she wants to be a dentist. I'd love to have an entertaining dentist like her; going to the dentist wouldn't be so intimidating! Then again, for Emma, going to the dentist might as well be like going to Disneyland.

As for me, I had a cavity. Just one this time. I guess I'm running out of original teeth to have cavities in...

5 comments:

Laura H. said...

Emma is the cutest! Who ever thought anything at the dentist office could be "beautiful" ? I'd be come to her office in a heart beat. :)

Lisa R.D. said...

She is so very clever--and I have to agree, I'd much rather go to an entertaining and fun dentist who can make me smile and relax in the chair. For as much time and money that I get to spend at the dentist, that would be a welcome relief! What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall at your appointments!

Jen said...

Spencer-

I was just looking at your blog the day before you commented on mine! I was wondering if I should leave a message or not. I'm so glad you did!

We're in Saratoga right now, south of San Jose, and we'll love to see you guys too. We're always looking for an excuse to get up to the San Fran area.

Let me know when you guys get a free moment, and we'll plan something!

I loved the blog about your little Emma. I am excited to meet her. She is so darling and "beautiful".

Natalie N said...

Great story, Cheri! What a hoot! Tell Emma that I know just the man to give her a great letter of recommendation someday. She and Tyler can talk teeth next time we get together. :)

Janene said...

I love it! I think you captured the event well, even without a camera!