Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Favorites

So I'm very clearly NOT Oprah but I'd like to showcase some of MY favorite things. Beware - a lot of this involves food...

  • Books. I LOVE to read (hence, the English major). I finally finished with Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth (Oprah's current book club pick). I really enjoyed reading it, when I got the occasional 15 minutes periods of time to sit down and read. It has very interesting storylines, woven together. But be warned...it's 1000 super-thin (like, scripture thin) pages. However, I haven't had one minute of boredom. I say I finally finished, but it took me a week, reading while I stood over the stove, sat outside with the kids, etc. A week for a book is a long time for me. I feel that I should say there are several disturbing scenes in this book; it wouldn't just be a PG-13 movie (if it were a movie), in case anyone is looking to read it.



  • My Cricut. Got it for Christmas, and can't get enough. I think I've become quite a paper-waster since I got it but it still manages to suck me in for an hour at a time. I guess it's my 3rd child. I spend lots of time on ebay looking for deals on more cartridges (no luck yet).

  • Scrapbooking. Love doing it by hand, love doing it digitally. I just took advantage of Costco's $30 off Photoshop promo going on this week; I've been waiting a month for that! I love most of all doing Emma's pages - there is nothing like scrapbooking cute pink pages for a little princess. And of course my Cricut makes this much more fun. I like the idea of creating something...it's more than just picture taking. It also makes up for my less-than-perfect photography.


  • Chocolate covered cinnamon bears. Don't grimace until you try them! Once you do you'll be hooked (if you can get over the weird breath they produce - ask Tyler what he thinks).

  • My treadmill. It's sort of a love/hate relationship. It beckons to me from the laundry room and I groan and complain about it until I'm done running, and then I love it. It makes me keep going when I'm tired and even fans me when I'm hot - how kind.



  • My Hoover WindTunnel vacuum - the poor man's version of a Dyson. So fun to watch it spin the gunk...and it picks up twice as much as my last vacuum! Thanks to my vacuum-saavy brother for suggesting it!




  • Key lime cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. I have to expand my tastebuds past chocolate sometimes! It reminds me of Waikiki. Mmmm, so good.


  • My bed. I love the bed set as well as the mattress. There is nothing like those few minutes (or usually seconds) of snuggling up in my cozy bed before I fall asleep. I grin each night as I get into bed - it's such a nice way to fall asleep.

Now for some of Spencer's favorite things...

  • HIS chocolate chip cookies. They are good. I hate it...he took a recipe of mine and has perfected it. They're probably the best we've ever tasted (and we've tasted lots of different ones!). He gloats at the level of famous-ness he has achieved among our friends. And no, he doesn't share the recipe.


  • Emily. She is his non-backseat driver. She's with him for a good part of the day in his car. She kindly instructs him which way to go and if he chooses another path she calmly recalculates and gives him new instructions. She never gets upset, tells him to watch out, or tells him to slow down (though she does keep careful track of his speeds). Yes, she's everything he could want in a GPS. And her British accent definitely keeps him cheery. Hmm, should I be jealous?


  • His car. I can say right now it's the closest he's gonna get to a sports car, but it sure feels like one. It's a Nissan Altima and has some serious kick to it! I love driving it when I get the rare chance. Best of all, it's tank is huge and it can go over 400 miles before needing a re-fuel. According to Spencer, the best part is it's engine and speed. I hear "I love my car!" ALL the time.


  • Costco. Man's paradise. The ONLY place he will shop. Any excuse to go there. Toys, food, and clothes - all in once place. What could be better? I often get the phone call from the road: "Do you need anything at Costco?"

How's that for some free advertising?

5 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

I love this post--we have many of the same "favorites". I'll have to add the book to my list of things to read, I have seen it around being read by strangers, but now that someone I know and like gives it a thumbs up, I'll go for it :).

Natalie N said...

Great post! I got hooked on chocolate covered cinnamon bears at BYU, but I haven't had them in years. I agree, makes your breath be kickin', but they sure are tasty. Never heard of a "cricut" before, but now I totally want one.
Hey, maybe if we got Spencer a hotdog and drink from Costco, do you think he'd give up his secret cookie recipe? Come on, we're family, right? ha ha ha

Janene said...

I think being a parent makes you appreciate your bed more. Did for me!

Stefanie said...

I love Chocolate covered cinnamon bears! Those are the best. Humm makes me want some right now. :o)

Laura H. said...

Gosh, I'm glad my vacuum store days came in helpful; we still have a piece of junk, but someday we'll upgrade like you guys.