Friday, July 26, 2013

Mid-summer night's brain dump

(I guess we are technically more than halfway done with summer break...lame.)

Potty Training was last week and went so much better than expected. Tanner may win a prize for easiest kid ever to potty train. Whoever said girls are easier than boys was just talking about their own kids. For me it has been the complete opposite. It has also helped that Emma jumped right in and took him when I couldn't. Bribes work well for this little boy. We hear lots of "I have to pee!" around here.

Speaking of potty training, Tanner had a birthday, potty trained, and gave up naps all in the same week. It's been a bit of an adjustment around here. He has handled it all so well.

And along the lines of Emma being such a good helper...she has turned into quite a work horse. She is motivated by money, that girl. Just this week she has cut back a seriously out-of-control bush, washed both cars, and vacuumed Spencer's (in addition to her regular daily chores, for which she doesn't get paid). She always asks for us to "gross up" her pay: $4.40 to wash and vacuum the car. She likes tithing to be built in. Smart.

And keeping with the Emma theme...she has become quite the baker. She is always asking to cook something. This week she did a few different batches of banana bread/banana muffins. Adding chocolate chips was her best addition. I had to ban her from baking for a few days, just so my calorie intake can go back to normal.

Sadie is crawling. A lot. Everywhere. She crawls around and then always comes back after a few minutes just to be near me. If I walk away she follows me. But after crawling for about a minute her entire head is sweaty. If I had legs like her (hmm, who says I don't?), it would wipe me out too. It's fun to watch her progress. She is getting lots of exercise.

Speaking of exercise...My kids have motivated me to get on the treadmill. The big kids run half a mile to a mile, and have started helping with Sadie so I can get a bit of time in too. I feel so much better!

Tyler is about to have some fun. He is going on a trip and then having a big birthday and getting baptized. It will be a whirlwind few weeks around here. I am pleased as punch with him in general, but kinda bummed about the impending "scout thing" that is starting; it is already really intimidating for me. I should just be grateful there is no birthday party this year on top of everything else.

I love having my kids home. I really do. But MAN, it is so much more expensive to have them home in the summer. They eat more, we do more (not everything is free), and having 4 kids is just costly! Maybe there IS one perk to having them go back to school in 4 1/2 weeks...

Lastly, Emma has wanted to do this for a long time.


I did it once when I was 12 or 13 and loved it but just couldn't bring myself to do it again. We paired her up with a good friend (and his dad) and let them loose (pardon the pun). Oh my...it almost gave me a heart attack. This girl is fearless. Too bad it was kinda dark, but the sky was gorgeous.

4 comments:

GHFamily said...

OMG, Greg was just telling the boys about you riding this with him and Gary. He said you couldn't make complete sentences when you were done.

Cheri said...

i know! it shuffled my brains around!

hales said...

Fun summer! Glad to get to see you this next week.

Jen said...

It was so fun catching up with you a few weeks ago. You have such a beautiful family!