Tuesday, December 11, 2012

settling in

Sure enough, a certain amount of chaos ensues with the addition of each new child. And...it all becomes manageable with time. For me, being in a lot of pain doesn't mix well with having a new baby, and having 3 others to take care of just adds to the madness. I am so grateful that after 4 weeks I am finally feeling discomfort and soreness, and no more pain. It is a nice feeling to only take Motrin when necessary, and to steer clear from the heavy Vicodin. I've been asked a few times what it's like "with 4 kids." It's hard, for sure, but I think the adjustment from 1 to 2 was the hardest for me.

I still have my moments when I wonder why this is so much harder this time. It's not really, but emotions are heightened and a lack of sleep causes thoughts to go extreme. Then again, having Spencer gone for 5 days after the baby was just 3 weeks old was tricky. I was never so happy to see him asleep in the bed as I was at 2 or 3 a.m. that one night after he had finally arrived home.

I hate being up all night, or even for half the night, but this time I am reminding myself this is the last time I will be doing this. And really, hanging out with a cute baby - just the two of us - in the middle of the night is such a sweet time. Spencer and I have been talking a lot about how we need to enjoy each stage of life, no matter how hard. The words to that country song keep going through my head... "You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast...." I am super bi-polar and feel this at the same time as wishing the time would speed up. But more than wishing it would hurry up, I am really enjoying it. Which, perhaps, is why Sadie is such a bad sleeper...I'm not pushing her to be better, and I'm babying her. And holding her all night does my heart good, though it sure is turning me into a zombie.

Sadie is starting to stare into my eyes and will occasionally smile. Oh happy day when they finally show you a little bit of appreciation!  It helps that she is so cute and cuddly. Tyler is my one child who hasn't been interested in Sadie much - it just isn't his personality. Well, that all changed when he looked down at her last week and she was grinning up at him. Now he is totally wrapped around her finger. She is sweet and I have a feeling will fit the description of the spoiled little sister perfectly.

So, after almost 5 weeks we are all finding our feet and getting comfortable. My life might revolve around 3-hour time segments for a few more months, but adapting isn't too bad. Even Tanner is learning how to wait 20 minutes for something if he needs to.

3 comments:

Carly said...

That country song totally made me cry the first time I heard it! Crazy how fast time flies. (And how much it seems to CRAWL by during the hard moments). :) Love your fam!

hales said...

Cute post. I remember the "old" ladies in the ward telling me to enjoy those early years. And they always said it when I was the most frustrated. But then -- darn if they weren't right. Those years flew by!

Teri T said...

All the older ladies told me the same thing--to enjoy the times with my young children. It IS TRUE; the time flies by, but yes, it is hard while you're in the middle of it. The only thing that got me through all the nights up with Haley was telling myself that it was my special alone time with her--just like you and Sadie.