Sunday, April 3, 2011

embracing the crazy

You know what, I really can't change my kids' personalities. (Shocking, right?) Tyler was a needy, clingy baby and now he's incredibly independent. He's just fine. Tanner is incredibly clingy and needy but it doesn't really bother me or stress me out like it did with Tyler. I'm embracing it instead. I've decided to embrace just how much he loves me. So what if he can't be next to me and has to be ON my lap? Someday he won't want to be on my lap and I'm going to wish so badly that he would just let me hold him. So what if he won't sit in the cart at Target and has to be held? The Bjorn might as well get some more use before he's too big and I'm left with a limp, dirty, spit-covered baby carrier, and a walking running toddler.

With every stage of Tanner's baby-ness I get incredibly nostalgic. Like right now, for example. Tanner is on the verge of crawling. I am thrilled on one hand because maybe he won't sit there and cry for me, but instead he can follow me and keep his mind off the fact he isn't being held. But on the other hand it makes me so sad. This is probably the last time I'll be teaching/helping a baby to crawl. And soon it will be the last time I have a baby learning to walk. And then the last time I will have a child at home with me during the day...

So, I'm embracing the craziness. I love it, because I know how badly I'm going to want all this back in a few years. Being a mom is so hard. It's also the most rewarding thing I can think of. But, I only think it's rewarding because it's so hard. If it was a cake walk I don't think I would get as much satisfaction and happiness from it all. While I will be a mom forever, this stage won't last forever and I think it's this stage (maybe the hardest one) that I will miss the most.

Here's what makes it all so rewarding.

Go ahead and embrace the mommy chaos. It will be over much too soon!

8 comments:

Michael B. said...

This may be the last time you get to teach your earthly child how to walk, but I have a feeling you have plenty of mothering times ahead.

Rachel said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. It's been good encouragement to keep me updating.

It's funny that you posted this today. I just posted something about the chaos in our house these days. I've had a challenging week with the kids and have thought many times about Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk "Daughters of God," where he talks about mothering. You're right, it is a HARD job, but it's definitely worth it.

I have no doubt that you are an excellent mom. Your kids are lucky.

Teri T said...

Those thoughts you mentioned, "this is the last time. . ." is the only thing that got me through years of Haley waking up all night long! And I'm SO GLAD I have her!

Melanie said...

I think Tanner wants to come to my house and visit for a while :) He is way too cute for his own good. Miss you!

The Rich Family said...

Oh my....tanner is so cute. so handsome. Love the picture.

Natalie N said...

Look at those 3 beauties. I seriously need to see those kids in person!!

Misty said...

That is my new mantra here, too. I get stressed out easily as well and Phil is working out of town during the week for the whole month so I have decided I need to laugh a lot more about things and pull my hair out a lot less. "Embrace the Crazy!" I love it!

Kristina and Tyson said...

So well said Cheri! I feel the same way! Your three kids are just about the cutest kids EVER! Gosh, I miss you guys!! Love to everyone and Happy Easter!