Thursday, April 14, 2011

busy

There are a few things I hope my kids will know about me, especially lately as things have been a little crazy.

*Vomit is one of my very least favorite things in this entire world. And when it's red and when it's everywhere...even worse.
*I really do like to get on their level to read, play Legos, do trains, color, etc. I've noticed what a difference that makes to them when I don't always make them come up to me (table, counter, etc.), but instead when I join them where they're comfortable.
*I love to read, and I love for them to read, and I have dreams of them being those kids with their noses always in a book. I need to do better at modeling this. I also dream of running them to the library just because they're interested in learning about some obscure, totally random subject.
*We all do better with routines.

And there are a few things about me that I hope they'll excuse, or forget altogether:
*I get stressed out easily. When one stressful thing is going on I'm ok, but when everything is piling up and Spencer's in his busy season and I'm not sleeping....I get stressed and they see it. I hope they will know it's temporary and that I am far from perfect but that it's ok. (Is it obvious I've been overwhelmed?) It sorta breaks my heart and sorta touches my heart when I hear Emma pray that "mommy won't be stressed."
*I'm not the best with bedtime routines anymore. Maybe it's because they're older and can put themselves to bed, maybe I've just gotten lazy, but I really think it's that putting 3 kids to bed at the same time, by myself, is just too hard. I used to love bedtime. They would each get a story every night (different ones). One night last week Emma asked me to lay next to her and talk. We talked about everything she wanted to and for once I didn't mind that it was 9:30 and she was still awake. It was nice.

Thankfully, Emma's sweet notes every night bring a smile to my face. One of my favorites was when I saw on her little piece of paper, "Can you show me how to Jimmer?" Love that girl.

And now that tax day is almost here (this is a huge cause for celebration in our house), maybe the stress will lessen a bit. Hooray! I just have to say how grateful I am for good friends who step in when I'm about to completely lose my mind.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Stress is never a good thing in our house either. I completely understand how hard it is to put the kids to bed without your husband. We used to take so much more time with stories. It was a magical time, but now, by the time bedtime rolls around. I'm wiped out and after one story, I'm done. I feel really bad about it sometimes. But at the same time, I also recognize that there are times in life that you just have to make it through. Things will get better and eventually you figure out a way to make it work.

You're a really good mom Cheri and you have great kids.

Carly said...

I love Emma's notes. AND that she jumped on the Jimmer bandwagon. :)

Dad said...

Stress doesn't go away, so having a way to deal with it is a good thing. Plus April 19th is almost here and that will really help.

Natalie N said...

"Show me how to Jimmer"?!?!? Too cute!! Hope you are enjoying the first few days of Spencer post-tax season. Keep up the great work!
xoxo