Wednesday, August 25, 2010

my oldest

Before I even got pregnant with Emma, I knew we would be having a girl. The doctor surprised us at my first appointment, at 16 weeks, and told us they could already tell and that it was a girl (that part wasn't surprising). I was thrilled. And now I can say what a phenomenal baby she was, especially after having these two boys who weren't/aren't quite so phenomenal...

I am so lucky Emma came first. She is always asking for Tanner after I feed him, so he isn't permanently attached to me like Tyler was. And he loves her! He rarely cries when she's toting him around, even though he'll usually cry when I take him back. Basically Emma is eating up the whole baby thing going on around here, as evidenced by this picture.
(Doesn't he look so happy?)

I love knowing I am raising my own baby-sitter, and a future mother. After Macie died Emma told me she was never having kids, as all she knew or remembered of my childbearing experience was grief, but she has now changed her mind and wants 100. I'll settle for anything in between. I'm glad she's getting to mother this little guy - I think it's therapeutic for her and is also giving her some good practice. And I'm glad she's around for another week before she's in school FULL DAY (yikes).

I love this girl. What a blessing she is to me.
(Helping him play "Go Fish.")

16 comments:

Laura H. said...

That is the sweetest picture! I used to think boys first were best (the "big brother" thing). But big sisters are just perfect.

Carly said...

I love that she is teaching him to play Go Fish! That is love right there. :)

Rachel said...

I love the picture of Emma and Tanner. It's perfect. You have such a sweet girl. I'm so glad to hear this has been a positive experience for her. I always wonder how my kids will do when more come along.

hales said...

Go Emma! I've watched her tote him around like she's done it all her life. He'll miss her when she's gone to school all day.

Misty said...

i LOVE that picture of them together - looks like every mom feels at some point. and the grin on his face is priceless!

GHFamily said...

Darling post!

Natalie N said...

That first picture is just CLASSIC!! Love Tanner's precious smile, and I love Emma's motherly furrowed brow. So so so precious!

Kristina and Tyson said...

Aw Man, how I miss that girl! I am so glad that she is helping you out so much and LOVING every minute of it! Tanner is in love with his big sis, I can tell! Such precious memories!

jana beck said...

i love how she looks so exhausted in that first picture. it must be tough having a newborn, emma!

Jamie said...

What a cute little guy. Congratulations. He must be smiling, happy to have been sent to such a splendid family.

Sierra Parke said...

Emma is so cute. I love how involved she is in helping you take care of little Tanner. Hopefully I'll get to see you and your family again soon. It has been sooo long!

The Reichmans said...

they are so cute together. that pic is darling.

The Reichmans said...

they are so cute together. that pic is darling.

Lisa R.D. said...

What a wonderful post... I have loved watching Olivia with Sophia too... but you are much better at expressing why I love seeing her "mothering" her baby sister. She started school last week... both the babe and I have missed her (and Coleman too :)).

Candice said...

Emma's hair is getting so long! We miss you guys, by the way, what is Spencer's new calling? Bishop??

siovhan said...

the go fish picture made me laugh so hard. that is priceless!