Sunday, June 6, 2010

blue

Maybe it's from feeling eternally pregnant (one full pregnancy with no baby, and nearing the end of the next pregnancy, no baby yet) but I've had a hard time really picturing this stretching, hiccuping thing inside of me being a real human that will actually come out and need to be taken care of, and will need his own stuff. It's also hard for me to imagine I'm having a boy. I guess that I'm still sort of in girl mode. Maybe that's why when we bought this house, every single wall was painted (including bathrooms) except for Tyler's room. He kept asking for me to paint it red (um, no) and I just kept holding off, wanting to wait until we knew the gender of our next child, whenever that would be.

A few weeks ago we decided to buckle down and turn Tyler's room into the "boy's room." There were two separate twin beds in there (for when Emma gets kicked out of her queen bed/room for guests) and his room is small so we needed space for the crib. Thus...bunk beds. I sure knew what I didn't want but didn't know what I did want. After a lot of failed craigslist searching, we headed off to the store and found one that we really liked.

That was a Saturday. The beds were being delivered on the following Wednesday. Spencer was so excited with the idea that they were being delivered and put together for us (hallelujah for no grumpy husband) that he didn't take seriously my out-loud thoughts that the room simply had to be painted. BEFORE the beds came. He didn't want me painting, and he sure didn't want to do it himself.

So, I took matters into my own hands on that Monday. There are only about 8 million shades of blue, so it only took me about 6 hours in the store and online trying to find the perfect one. Blue is a tricky color to work with, and it had to be perfect. I came home, put samples on the wall, went in to look at the different colors a few times throughout the day, and hoped Spencer wouldn't notice when he got home from work.

(Sometimes) I love his lack of observational skills. He didn't notice. But my sweet, easily-excitable children had to show him how "mommy had painted on the walls." Oops. He just looked at me, sighed, and said, "I guess we're painting." Now that he was on board, or I guess had resigned himself to the fact that I wasn't going to be told "no," I was ready to go. I bought the paint, did all the taping, and had the kids clear out all the toys. Spencer took out the heavy stuff and did the "hard" painting but still let me do some of the painting. And...I LOVE IT. The blue is absolutely perfect. We put the last coat of paint on about 8 hours before the delivery guys showed up. They got the bunk beds in, we figured out where to put everything else (i.e., the crib), and voila - the room was ready.
Photobucket
But...this week I was doing a lot of vinyl projects for a friend, and realized that while I had my stuff out I might as well put some up in the boys' room. So...I began my online search for cute phrases. It took me several days (man, I hate transfer tape) but it is DONE, except for a few things to go on the walls. And we're all pretty darn happy with it.
Photobucket
(It says "To become a real boy you must prove yourself brave, truthful, and unselfish." - Pinocchio)
Tyler loves that he gets the top bunk (until/unless he pees the bed, and then I'm kicking him down to the bottom). Emma loves that she has a "2nd bed" and that we let her sleep in there if she wants. I love that the crib is up, and really really hope that we can use it this time. And I also love that now we have painted every single surface of this house, in just under 13 months' time.
Photobucket
Now to get this boy here safely... if the number of doctor appointments I have is any indication, he's in good hands. I've still got a while but you never know...

13 comments:

Dad said...

It looks like the perfect place to start out.

Laura H. said...

That looks great. We really to come see your place...maybe next summer.

Jen said...

I love the bunkbeds. Luke's will about the same color, after I sand and stain them again. :) I like the blue too.

I'm so glad that all of you could come to dinner tonight!!! We really enjoy spending time with your lovely family. :)

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Super Cute!!!

Kevin said...

The bunk beds are awesome! The "No buddy like a brother" quote is good I really like it, especially with Tyler being one of the brothers, theres no buddy quite like him.. :)
I think Tyler will appreciate blue as a wall color over the red in the future.

April said...

Oh Cheri I understand. Having lost Harrison and waiting till my body was ready to have another baby and then getting pregnant and then waiting for him to come, well, it seemed like an eternity, like I should've had a baby by then. I hope so much that things go well for you, its amazing how much healing little Finn has brought to our family. Hudson loves him so much he doesn't want to leave, everytime he has to leave his side he cries, I think we traumatized him a bit with Harry but its been good to finally be able to say, here's your brother. I can't wait and the room is just perfect! Hang in there he'll be here soon. So excited for you.

Natalie N said...

I can only imagine the roller coaster of feelings you must be going through with this pregnancy. I have hope that you are being well taken care of with all the many doctor's appointments you've had. I can't believe your baby will be here next month!!

And BTW--that blue is just PERFECT! I love it, and the quotes are adorable too. How exciting to have the boys' room all ready!! :)

Carly said...

LOVE it! I think I'm due for another visit so Emma has even another excuse to sleep there. :)

Koko said...

it's perfect. i can't wait for your boy to arrive. love you, cherbear

THE GROWS said...

it looks awsome. I love the color blue you picked for the room and the cute quotes. How is this pregnancy going and when are you due again? I think you are due before me but I am not sure. Good luck with everything.

jonna said...

love the finishing touches and how it all came together!

and can't wait til tyler is a big buddy!

p.s.cute quotes!

p.s.s. i had to veto red in cole's room as well! ha!

GHFamily said...

Blue is perfect like you said. I am so excited for you.

The Brown Family said...

It's been over a year since I've come across your blog after you left such kind words during our loss, but I just wanted to leave a comment that we wish your family and your baby boy the very best! Although Jane was my younger sisters friend, I'm so glad she reached out to us and informed us of your family! You have certainly set a wonderful example!