Saturday, December 6, 2008

Whirlwind

Several days ago we got the bittersweet news that Spencer's granddad had passed away. As much as we were happy that he was again reunited with his sweet wife, I wasn't able to sleep that night. I was (selfishly?) sad as lots of emotions returned to the surface. My kids took the news really well; all they said was, "Granddad's in heaven with Macie!" We had the great honor of taking a quick trip to Salt Lake for the amazing funeral. I loved getting to know him even better by those who knew him the best - his son and his dear friends/colleagues. Everything about it was just wonderful, except for me crying like a baby half the time.



Tyler enjoying the ride (and the cookies)



Checking out the lights at Temple Square. Brrr!

We were in Salt Lake this past Easter. I got this picture of the guys and it turns out it's now the most recent 4-generation picture I have. What a treasure.


I'd like to share two of my favorite quotes from him. They have really brought me comfort these last six weeks, and I hope someday to be able to tell him this in person:

  • "Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays. But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come. No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come."

  • "That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude."

10 comments:

Jana said...

i will definitely miss hearing his sweet words in conference - thank goodness for archives :)

p.s. your hermey is a great idea, i'll have to remember that one!

hales said...

Thanks for sharing "granddad" with all of us. We will miss his Conference talks too. We wish the best for all of the Wirthlin family.

Lisa R.D. said...

It was good to see you this week--even though it was only briefly. I love these photos, and I'm so glad your family could come. This was a great post, the two quotes you shared are some of my favorites too.

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I love the pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us. What a very special picture of you all outside the Salt Lake Temple. I love Christmas lights, they make everything seem so much more beautiful. I am sure that there is an analogy there: lights, temple, family, beauty...

Rachel said...

I'm so glad that you and your family were able to make it to the funeral. What a precious picture of the four generations. Thank you for sharing those quotes from Elder Wirthlin. He left an amazing legacy for all of us.

Kim said...

What a special experience for your family. We're so thankful for the many things we have learned from him. Thanks for sharing your pictures and quotes.

Laura H. said...

OK, I'm pretty sure it's impossible for me to read your blog without having to hold back tears. I'm so glad that your trip was such a special experience.

Natalie N said...

Alright Cheri... I'm totally tearing up right now after reading about your emotions resurfacing, seeing the last 4 generation picture, and reading these quotes. What a sweet post! Sounds like you had a wonderful visit. Take care!

p.s.--we loved your Christmas card! What a great picture of everyone. You look so great!

Janene said...

I'm glad that you have that picture. I have big regrets with that (unfortunately kept me up a little bit that night too), we lived close and took him for granted I guess.

It was great to see you guys!

Jamie said...

I will definitely miss his talks. How great that your kids get the whole afterlife stuff. Nice that they thought of Macie getting to meet him.