Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thoughts

Time to count my blessings. Spencer has worked 80 (chargeable) hours in the last 5 days (Sat, Mon-Thu). The only comfort I have during the night is waking up at 3 a.m. to use the restroom and seeing that he's there. I don't know when he gets home - probably between 1 and 2 a.m. - but he gets home. This is part of life for us - a few crazy times at work every year - though this seems a little more extreme than in the past. I'm still blessed.

This morning Spencer and I got a few minutes to talk before he left. He works with several women, and two of them have young kids (and yes, they are putting in the same hours he is). One of them last night was so frustrated with work (rightly so). She said something in her frustration to the effect of "They're only young once." So today I have been so thankful that I can stay home. Sure, we may never be able to afford a house here, but Spencer is doing all he can, and I'm doing the best I can. To those women who choose to work full-time, great. But those women who work full-time because they have to (and don't want to) - I feel for them. I know it's a sensitive area, and is such a personal decision and matter, but I can't imagine working those insane hours as the MOM - the one responsible for the nurture and care of the children. In light of this, I am counting my blessings:

*First, my usual little stinkers have been practically angels this whole time. Emma, when I put her to bed at night, says "Will Daddy take me potty in the nighttime when he gets home?" So, Spencer does it. Emma is queen of going potty in her sleep, and I think Spencer likes taking her right now because he actually gets to carry her to the bathroom and have some contact with her. And every night she asks me if she'll get to see him in the morning.

*Swimming lessons have been a blessing. Not because Emma's doing anything even close to resembling swimming, but because we get out for a couple hours every morning, and three of my friends have kids in lessons at the same time. Some form of adult conversation is a wonderful thing, my friends. And Emma's cute with her teachers, using her charm to get out of doing things she's scared of.

Hmm, maybe I'll honor Emma's request and read that extra story tonight when we're all three lying in her comfy queen bed together, and be grateful that I'm even home to read to her. Maybe I won't be so frustrated when I wake up to Tyler next to me in bed at midnight instead of Spencer. That awful habit of his can wait a couple weeks to be broken (again).

2 comments:

Carly said...

Since Spencer is gone so much right now, come here and visit. :-)

Natalie N said...

Great post! I didn't realize Spencer was gone so much. We really need to get together. I liked what you had to say about moms who have to work and don't want to. I agree that it really is a blessing to be home with the kids. Hopefully Spencer's work will slow down soon.
Take care, guys!