Monday, October 15, 2007

Recap of our trip to Paradise

After a whirlwind two weeks and after 6300 miles, we are HOME! I feel like we've gone around the world (a few times)!

Our first day in Honolulu was rather uneventful. Actually, the most eventful part of the day was being upgraded, for free, to a Mustang Convertible! Woo hoo!! We had the top down a lot, except when the typical downpours were downpouring...



We did the "obligatory" trip to Pearl Harbor (I am SO not into stuff like that) because Spencer wanted to go. Come on, I watched the Ben Affleck movie - wasn't that enough?? When we got to the Memorial, we walked straight to the end of the line that was going back to shore on the ferry - no wasting time dawdling! Then we hit the swap meet in Honolulu.

By that point we'd had quite enough of tourist-ville (Honolulu/Waikiki made me claustrophobic) and hit the North Shore, where our hotel was. What a beautiful drive! We saw tons of surfers, minus the 30-feet waves that hit that area in the winter, and lots of emerald blue water. We were so excited! The top of the convertible went up and down as the rain started and stopped. As I've mentioned before, I am incredibly resourceful in terms of saving money (ask me how much our hotel cost!!!) so we were going to do lots of meals at home to save even more money. Anyway, my "frugal-ness" wore off when we spent twice what we'd spend at a grocery store on the mainland! Ouch! We couldn't even find a "real" place to eat that night so we just ate fast food and went to bed early.
Sunday was conference Sunday. Since the "afternoon session" was over at noon we had lots of time. It's hard to be in Hawaii on a Sunday!!

On Monday we went back to Waikiki to snorkel, hike Diamond Head (gorgeous views), and hang out. It was lots of fun - the highlight was having a sea turtle come up right next to me and scare the ba-jeebies out of me for a second...or a few seconds to be more precise. We had a fabulous time and once again went to bed early. We never adjusted to the time change, so I was up every morning between 4 and 4:30 a.m. I had to find things to do while I waited for Spencer to wake up. One of those things was to read Twilight - took me 3 whole days.

Waikiki - Looks like a postcard, huh?


Hanauma Bay


On Tuesday we went to the temple, snorkeled at "Shark's Cove," and spent the majority of the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center! What a cool place. Polynesian people are lots of fun and are hilarious, so we had a fantastic time. I mean, who else can climb a coconut tree with bare feet, and joke with you while they're at the top?? Learning to hula was a highlight; I just had the giggles so bad watching Spencer, and he was a really good sport. By 9:00 that night I was half-asleep through the fire dancers' show - I know, I'm lame. Shucks, the show really was good.






By Wednesday we were pretty tired. We hiked to Waimea Falls (and I got eaten alive - darn mosquitos!) and then went back to the condo and...took a nap! It was so weird but so nice at the same time. We just hung out that afternoon, then went for a dip at Sunset Beach and watched the sunset. Gorgeous!! I think this evening was my "favorite" night (if I can pick a favorite). It was so fun to sit and watch the sunset - that has always been one of my very favorite things to do. I just felt so perfectly happy for those few minutes! A perfect sunset for a perfect night. There were some dudes riding around (standing up) on these surfboard-type things, with paddles. I don't know what it's called but I guess it's the "new thing." Enlighten me, please.



Thursday was our last day. We went to the PCC again (they have a "free within 3" deal, and we didn't get to see everything the first time). We were roasting in the heat and didn't stay long. We drove to Waikiki where we swam again - we HAD to go to Waikiki Beach...the most famous beach in the world! Then we ate at Cheesecake Factory that night. I have to say, that topped off our trip! The food was awesome, the Cheesecake was sooo good, and we had a gift card which made it all the better! We sadly parted with the Mustang and headed off to the airport for a long red eye flight.

Getting home (to LA) was great. The flight wasn't so great, so I'll leave it at that. My mom brought Tyler to the airport and he grinned from ear to ear for about two hours. He talked my ear off and I couldn't believe how much more talking he seemed to be doing. He kept reminding me that I had been in Hawaii, and I was so glad to be reunited with my cute little boy. (I loved seeing Emma too but she wasn't nearly as excited to see US). My sweet little momma's boy never lets me down!


Sleep-deprived, we headed off for Las Vegas for the BYU/UNLV game. We had a great time seeing grandparents/great-grandparents, and some of the Wirthlin family. We drove the 9 hours home yesterday and it's so good to be home!



For all of you who are planning on visiting Oahu, we are now EXPERT travel guides as I did research for months on where to go and what to do! :) We had so much fun and it was really nice to leave my kids for a bit (though I missed them a lot and called twice a day). I loved getting Spencer away from his CRAZY work life and taking the break we both needed so badly, though he still had to monitor his 50 emails a day and keep in touch with his clients. Best of all, we finally got the honeymoon we missed out on 5 years ago! Hooray for us - 5 years down and infinity to go! :)

2 comments:

Dad said...

I enjoyed seeing the pictures. Looks like paradise.

Emma and Tyler missed you but were so good while you were away.

Dad

Dad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.