Thursday, September 27, 2007

Signs of Aging (not me, my kids!)

In the past two days, two things have really changed with my kids, which makes me feel like they are growing up too fast. It started with my name. I was Mommy as recently as Sunday but as of Monday I was suddenly Mom. What's up with that? I even (sheepish admittance) found myself correcting Tyler, reminding him to call me Mommy. I complained to my sister about this and she didn't respond...as if waiting for a punchline. What's the big deal? I don't know! But there is something so endearing about being called Mommy since it's typically what little kids call their moms when they finally figure out how to say it (which, I must say is usually waaaay after they say Daddy). Emma started calling me Mom a while ago but it was ok because I still had Tyler to call me what I wanted. Now I guess I just have to live with being Mom! At least it's better than being Mother...

Also, Emma started taking showers today. Out of nowhere! One minute I was putting Tyler in his bed for his nap, and the next minute a naked Emma was asking to get in my shower! I figured she'd get in and not like the water splashing onto her head, and get right out. Oh no, she had the time of her life. I couldn't get her out! I'd go in every few minutes to check on her. She was wiping the water off the shower doors (pointless considering the shower was still on) the first time; the next time she was jumping back and forth over the drain. The next time she was lying on the ground, letting the water fall onto her tummy. That was when I made her get out. She asked for another shower later on that afternoon and in a way it's great because she's quiet and occupied for a full 20 minutes, but now I have to worry about my water bill!

I can't believe how fast they grow up, and how each milestone seems to happen so suddenly! It's so fun, but there's also a small piece of me that's sad to see it happen.

2 comments:

Dad said...

I love reading your blog.

It isn't a matter of aging (although that is happening too, just not to you). It is having little ones that want to move forward. Can't blame them. And it does happen fast.

Dad

Laura H. said...

Nope, I'm in denial that this will ever happen to me. Jessica will always call me Ma-Ma, clap with joy at the slightest thing, and love to snuggle in my arms before she goes to bed. Ok, maybe not. But that's what younger kids are for. The REALLY hard part will be when our youngest grows up. And hopefully that really will be a while.