Tuesday, May 13, 2014

mother's day

We kind of have a tradition of going to the cemetery on Mother's Day. Our usually empty cemetery is FULL of people, and I love the interaction we sometimes get there. Several years ago when we were there we met a lady who had lost her only little girl a few years earlier. She came to us and said she had seen us on the day of Macie's funeral. This lady was kind but I could tell she was completely devastated still, and she just looked so hopeless. We told her she will get to see her daughter again. I remember Spencer kicking himself that we had no pass along cards or anything to give to her.

On Sunday it was Mother's Day. My 10th Mother's Day. It was also Sadie's first day of nursery. (Here we are doing "Three cheers for Sadie going to nursery!" She wasn't convinced. And she hated it...but that is not what this post is about...)


We got a ping pong table from Debbie (our neighbor) and finally got it set up so we told the kids that playing ping pong will NOT be a regular Sunday activity...but we had to try it out. Everyone is a fan. And I even beat Spencer once.

Then we went to the cemetery. This time we met a nice lady who has a grandson buried in BabyLand, right next to Macie. I like getting to know loved ones of our loved one's neighbors. She also told us her daughter was buried close by, and had died a few years after her son had passed. This lady was there scrubbing bronze headstones, as well as spraying WD-40 to enhance the shine. She sat there looking solemn and it broke my heart.

Sadie and Emma walked around and then it was time to go. Sadie freaked out and wouldn't let me put her in her carseat. So I listened to her and took her back while everyone else waited in the car. She stood by Macie's grave for a little while longer and then didn't object to leaving. She is hard and she frustrates me a lot, but she is a sweetheart and I know she understands quite a bit.

It was a great day for me, as always. I have such a blessed life.


1 comment:

Carly said...

Best picture! I kind of love that Sadie didn't want to leave.

Didn't know you got a ping pong table! Fun!