Sunday, February 24, 2013

the glorification of busy

I have been very aware lately of the concept of "busy." I am frankly tired of saying I am busy when someone asks how I'm doing, and I am even more tired of feeling that way.

About a month ago, with this Read-a-Thon at school looming, baseball starting, a baby who likes to be held ALL.DAY.LONG, callings, and Spencer in his crazy season at work, I decided to eliminate one part of my life that is somewhat important to me but not necessary. What a difference that made. I didn't have that hanging over me...a great thing since I had so much else hanging over me. I knew this elimination would be temporary, as the craziness right now is just temporary. It taught me, though, how much I prefer to have things to do but to not feel overwhelmed. And it's suddenly easier to feel like I'm on top of things. Just by removing one thing for a few weeks I had that great reminder.


I can think of a few times when Tanner has sweetly asked me for something and I said, "Nope. I'm too busy." Then when he later asks me for something, he will say "Mom, are you too busy?" Dagger to the heart. Or how Emma will sometimes say, "Mom, when you're not busy, will you ______?" Ahh, that just hurts. But it has also opened my eyes. Maybe I can't do what they want/get what they want right away, but I'd rather have them assume that I can and not that I can't.

So so so many times the LDS catch phrases of "What Matters Most" and "Good, Better, Best" have been in my head. Of course right now I am a mom to a bunch of little people, and I chose this. I chose them. I need to make sure they get my full attention. If I can't do that, then what is my purpose?? And while I don't feel like I glorify the idea of being busy, it sometimes gives me one more thing to whine about. And I definitely don't need or want one more thing to whine about. And I don't want the less important things to keep me from what is the most important.

Instead of finding things to complain about, and making myself crazy in the process, I want to be happier and more easy-going. And I will do that by staying as far away from busy as possible (after read-a-thon is over on Friday night). Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Misty said...

I like this. We had STake conference this weekend and it (and this) has given me a lot to think about, chew on, and digest...

I hope the elimination goes well for you!

Carly said...

This makes me feel better about taking on basically no responsibilities other than in the family and my calling. But maybe I'm reaching too far. :)

GHFamily said...

I try so hard to not be busy but somehow it keeps finding me.

jonna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jonna said...

That's exactly why I had to turn down the opportunity to read for you at school this week, and why I have bowed out of Temple Hill Choir this Easter/Lamb of God season (after singing with them for 12 years - and for the favorite most meaningful oratorio and musical experience) It was 'best' over really really really really 'good'. I was feeling like my family was getting the 'leftovers' of me. Something has to give when it gets to that point. And now - no matter how much I miss what I have sacrificed, I feel at peace. You know "mothers who know - do less"! And you and I 'know'!

House of Tong said...

Exactly what I needed to read!!! Even though I don't have kids its so applicable to moi. xoxo