Saturday, August 27, 2011

new to me

I remember when my parents bought their very first new car. It was a minivan and had automatic sliding doors (!!). I believe I was 15 years old. I took my driver's license test in that car, back when I had cute naturally curly hair and actually had a decent license picture. We took tons of road trips in that van and my siblings and I argued over who got to sit in the middle row (as opposed to the back). That van drove me to college, among countless other places.

Five years ago we were living in Boston. With one (dumpy) car. I drove Spencer to the train every morning and picked him up every night. Sometimes I had to pluck sleeping babies out of their beds to go get him. We couldn't afford another car, and we made do and it wasn't a big deal.


But this van - my parents's van - came along and saved us. We were suddenly a two car family!! My parents drove it out to us, across the entire country. It didn't like Boston weather so much but once we left it did so much better. It has been SUCH a good car for us. Emma "named" it Annie.

Recently it has gotten...tired. It's now 15 years old. It shakes when you drive it. The heating works sometimes. The automatic doors gave out long ago. I get nervous when I need to drive it more than 10 miles. The upholstery has really cool 90s patterns  and designs on it. We've put a lot of money into it, but every time I've been so glad that we continued to hold on to it.

Last night Spencer took me out car shopping. I have been doing research for months, and have spent countless hours on Craigslist to see what's out there. Through all my research I realized I am just not a new car kind of person. My frugal lifestyle doesn't jive with a brand new car, at least not right now. I'm glad I came to that conclusion, as it saved us a lot of time with car salesmen. From of all my research I also knew what model I wanted, what colors I wanted, what options, etc. I guess in the end that is what made it so easy.

I have never been one of those snobby people who swears they'll never buy/drive a minivan (well, maybe I'm snobby in other ways but not about minivans). So that's what we got! A new (to me) shiny pretty car that will hopefully get us the same amount of years as my parents' van did! Happy Birthday to me!

The one taking the news hardest is Emma. This morning when I told her to go look in the driveway she said, "But I'm going to miss Annie!" She started crying and then she asked if we could keep it and just park it in the backyard. (Um, no, we only have room and are only trashy enough for one vehicle out there, thank you very much). I'm having a hard time letting go too. Well, I would be if my dad hadn't given me permission to go send it over a cliff.

RIP trusty old van.

Spencer, good luck topping this present.

10 comments:

Carly said...

It's beautiful! Happy Birthday indeed. :)

House of Tong said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to get a new ride!! Let's go crusin'!! xoxoxo

Laura H. said...

Hooray! It looks awesome. I sure was happy when I got a 10 year old minivan for Valentine's Day, so I can imagine how happy this beauty must make you! :)

Megan said...

Cheri! I think we are minivan twins. Is yours an '07 Odyssey too? It looks exactly like ours...same color and everything! My tip: go ahead and splurge on a set of rubber floor mats. You can buy them lots cheaper online than through the dealership...we may have gotten ours on ebay? About the best couple hundred bucks we've ever spent. It really only takes one solid barfing incident and they're worth their weight in gold. Hope you are enjoying it! And if you haven't seen the "Mom Your Ride" video yet, you really must see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFE3B0Rje0

hales said...

I'm pretty sure Dad doesn't want you to DRIVE it off a cliff; just let it go off all by itself. :-)
Anyway -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the whole family!

Jen said...

What an excellent, well-deserved birthday present!!! Congrats on the new ride!!

GHFamily said...

I went car shopping this week too and just couldn't bring myself to buy anything new so I bought a used Homda Accord - good old reliable!

Cheri said...

Yes! Used just makes way more sense to me. Especially when it's Honda reliable. Our "new" car is 4 years old, still 11 years newer than our old van!

Marné said...

we have the same one! blue and everything. you will love it!

Janene said...

Nice to know I have something in common with Emma. I cried (more than once!) about selling our Jeep Cherokee.