Saturday, January 15, 2011

my sidekick, at 6 months

I definitely never said that I wanted to freeze time in Tanner's first 3 months. I love holding newborn babies...I just don't like having newborn babies. After that, bring it on. That being said, I can't believe we're at 6 months already. SUCH a fun age. This is exactly where I would freeze time.

Tanner still confuses me; I figured my other kids out pretty well by about 3-4 months but he still manages to elude me every single day. He has absolutely no schedule - which drives me crazy - and almost everything about him is inconsistent. Use your imagination.

His eyes won't choose a color. We have two browns and two blues and Tanner's are exactly in the middle. Who said genetic blending doesn't happen?

He technically sleeps through the night, but my other kids really slept through the night by 3 months. Tanner still gets up once or twice, but he is pretty consistently in his crib from about 8 pm until 6 am. Naps are still hard to come by. When he sees me in the middle of the night his whole body smiles. I love it...kinda.

I enjoy our alone time. I really miss the big kids when they are at school because they love to play with Tanner, which frees me up slightly, but I love having so much time to play with him, just us two. He absolutely craves attention and eats it up. If I walk away from him for more than a minute, he makes it known that he does NOT approve and the big tears start flowing. I'm a sucker for this cute boy.

He has yet to find a toy to keep him entertained or occupied. He likes the swing for a minute. He likes the bumbo for a minute. He likes the exersaucer for a minute. Other than that, one of us is always playing with and entertaining him. I'm pretty sure Emma, Tyler, and Tanner all got together before they were born and conspired to make sure I was always on my toes. No breaks for me. I sure love my social babies but it is exhausting. Messy house? Absolutely.

He smiles with his entire body, but specifically with his whole face. I can only see his eyes and tell when he is smiling. His face lights up. He is full of personality.

I gave him cereal for the first time at 5 months. You can tell I'm brain dead because I gave him oatmeal instead of rice for two whole weeks before noticing. No wonder he chowed down. By then he wasn't interested in the rice stuff, so now we mix. Oh well; he clearly has no allergy. He loves his food. His mouth stays open except to swallow.

He has little interest in mobility (yet). I wish he'd crawl only so that he has something to do other than be held by me. I have awesome arm muscles and have learned how to make an entire meal and set the table with Tanner in one arm. Part of me doesn't mind...because this is the age where I'd freeze time, after all.

Love this cute, BUSY baby.

9 comments:

GHFamily said...

Oh so cute!

hales said...

He is TOOOOO cute. And those kissable cheeks!

Misty said...

what a cutie. I bet you're exhausted with keeping him entertained but at least now there are more tangible rewards! what cute smile he has!!!

Rachel said...

I'm definitely with you on the 3 month thing. I always aim to just get through the first 3 months (love the newborn baby, but not the lack of sleep and emotional roller coaster). My friend calls it the "hole."

I'm glad you're past the 3 month stage and enjoying your cute little boy, even if he's still unpredictable. :) He has the best smile! I love it!

The Reichmans said...

He really is darling and looks like such a happy happy baby. All your pictures of him are really cute!

Janene said...

what a little stud! I love the pictures.

The Rich Family said...

He is so fun....i can't wait for Tanner and Daniel to meet and be little buddies.....

Kristina and Tyson said...

Oh my stinkin cute!!! Tanner, don't grow up too soon before Aunt Kristina can hold you!!! Loves to this ADORABLE little boy!

Natalie N said...

What cute pictures!! He is DARLING!!