Friday, December 18, 2009

a few of my favorite things

(I still don't get why that is considered a Christmas song...)

I thought I'd showcase some of my favorite things from the last month or two. First, our neighbors gave us a little shelf. It was plain and unfinished but well made and Tyler needed just the thing in his room. Here it is.

Well, I had to spiff it up a little and I'm always up for a craft so I used paint, paper, and mod podge - you know, the essentials - and came up with this. I added some banana-leaf containers for toys and it's just perfect. Can't beat free! (I know it's kinda hard to see, but use your imaginations... the paint is brown and the paper is blue with brown stars.)

After getting all your input on a color for our door...6 months ago, we finally got that done. And sticking to our previous theme of "hiring out," we had a friend's painter come and paint it for us. It took 2 days but looks incredible. We are thrilled with how it turned out. It almost looks too nice for our house. (Picture is a little cloudy.)


My aunt makes these cute beaded watch bracelets. As is natural for me, I have to discover how to do all things "cute" myself. So, I did. We did an Enrichment night making them and I have lots of extras that I can use as gifts or use for myself. In fact, I think I'll do a giveaway sometime soon (like, in the next week) so be sure to check back. Does that sound fun?


Lastly, I decided to do a "cookie swap" at my house this year. I feel like December is CRAZY (and if you saw my schedule for this week you would be as tired as me) every year but I think it's a great idea to have an excuse for a girls' night out. And, what husband would object to his wife making cookies, leaving for an hour, and then bringing home tons of different kinds?! Win-win if you ask me. Yum. We had about 30 people, tons of different cookies, and lots of fun. No pictures though.

Now I can relax a little. I love Christmastime!

6 comments:

Mark and Kim said...

First: I thought the same thing when I opened my Christmas song book and saw that song. HUH??
Second: The door does look amazing. Glad you didn't go with my opinion!
Third: Yes do a give-a-way!
Fourth: Only one card in the mail~apparently you're not so forgetful! I'm still working on my stack...

Natalie N said...

Wow! Your door turned out BEAUTIFUL! SOOOoooo nice!

Good for you for accomplishing all of these projects! Enjoy this last week before Christmas.

xoxo

Laura H. said...

Love the door! Black is perfect for just about anything.

Kristina and Tyson said...

Your talents amaze me! I LOVE the front door, it did turn out so good!!! Also, Tyler's boookshelf looks awesome! Lastly, can you make me a watch band?? I will seriously pay you! I love how crafty you are...wish I could be like you :)

Lisa R.D. said...

Wow! You've done some great things... I've gone to a cookie swap every year for several years and it's one of my favorite traditions... and I love the idea of a giveaway, those watches are adorable!

Janene said...

fun to see how you're doing. I was so happy when my to-do list was done a week before Christmas (pretty much... I still had to go buy eggs :o)

Loved reading about Disneyland too. Love you guys!