Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Royal Birthday

I can't believe my sweet Emma is 4. It seems like just last week when we found out we'd be having a little girl; I instantly called my mom and several of my friends. I was THRILLED. And Emma has been everything and more than I could have hoped for or expected. She is mature, kind, and has a heart of gold. She's just like a ray of sunshine!

Ya know, there are times when it is just so so fun to be a mom to a little girl (other times - not so fun). She had her very first "official" birthday party yesterday. It was a party fit for a princess, including tiaras, nail-painting, crown & gown-shaped cookies and sandwiches, and Princess EVERYTHING. Here are the highlights:
  • My mom flying in for the big day. What a relief for me, and what a great treat for Emma. This has been the first year we've had anyone (aside from our immediate family) for one of the kids' birthdays and I have decided I definitely prefer it this way.
  • Making the invitations with Emma, weeks ago. The anticipation in her demeanor was obvious, and it was so fun to "anticipate" with her.
  • At the party, the looks of excitement on the girls' faces when they saw all the shades of pink nail polish and the tiaras they got to wear and take home.
  • Watching Emma eat up all the attention at her party. Priceless.
  • Texas Roadhouse - Emma's choice for her birthday dinner. She loves that place, and for some reason Macaroni & Cheese just tastes so much better there. Both kids ate their hearts out. And so did all 3 adults.
  • The reminders from her, for the last two days, that it's her birthday and she gets to go in a booster carseat now.
  • My mom being the "expert" on cake decorating; much better than my cluelessness.
  • Getting to see Emma wear her new beautiful purple dress (from her Grandma) to church today, and watching her flit all over like the Princess that she is.
  • Watching her DEVOUR her piece of cake, then asking to lick the rest of the frosting on the cake and on the doll (we said no).
  • Emma asking us to sing the Happy Birthday song to her...several times.
  • My dad being able to join us via webcam as she opened her gifts.
  • The great feeling of having this all over with.

The invitations

The Princesses

Beautiful girl - stressful cake

9 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

I love birthdays! You did such a great job on her invitations and she is adorable. Her cake is beautiful too--I made one of those for Liv's 4th birthday (also a Princess b-day!) and put so much red food coloring in the frosting that it was radioactive bright. She loved it anyway, which made me happy. Well done :).

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Looks like a little girls dream birthday!! Sounds like you had fun as well with a little family in town to help out. Enjoy your "big" girl!

Stefanie said...

That sounds like such a fun little girls birthday party, maybe someday I'll be lucky to have a little girl and get to do fun girly things like this. Happy Birthday Emma.

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest cake (and girl) ever! I wish I could have been there!

heidi said...

Cheri,
I'm so glad you found me! I added you on my blog. What a fun party! I'm sure Emma loved it. I would have, and I'm not even turning 4.

hales said...

I miss you Emma. (and Tyler too) Thank you for inviting me to your party.
Love, Grandma

Natalie N said...

WOW! I didn't see that cake! AMAZING. Whitney is still talking about the party. Loved the pictures. Happy birthday, Emma!

Janene said...

wowsuh!! What a fun milestone. I'm glad she had such a great celebration with her princess friends.

Jennifer Gerritsen said...

Jeremy had his first official birthday party for his 4th birthday too! Except it was a Power Ranger party! The girls were the Pink Power Ranger according to him. Then he got to go to a Princess/Prince party a month or so later! So fun!