Friday, May 20, 2011

why every mom needs a tanner

I have to admit, sometimes I wonder why I have such needy babies. (Imagine that, right?) I guess it's just an adjustment everyone has when they have a baby, and then with every stage. They need stimulation. They crave it. I hold my babies almost constantly when they are awake, wishing I could just hold them more when they were asleep. Saucers and swings, for me, are tools to get the dishwasher emptied, or a load of laundry switched out. Nothing more.

But, I think every mom needs a Tanner (or a Tyler, or an Emma). He has forced me to think less of myself. Going without make-up is totally the rule and no longer the exception. Hair in a bun or ponytail is the norm, at least 5 days a week. I plan my day and what chores I can get done around 5-minute periods of time, when I know I can get a few minutes out of him with no crying. I so appreciate those snippets of time when Spencer is home and can actually hold Tanner. Another set of hands. Those moments are absolutely golden.

I love having a Tanner. I have to be an involved, purposeful mom. That is just how it should be. I take nothing for granted. I think this is good for me; having a baby like Tanner keeps me humble as a woman (have you seen me?) and reminds me that it's not all about me {and it's not even a little about me}.

3 comments:

Carly said...

Not only is he cute, but he helps you become a much better person too? I want a Tanner! :)

Lisa R.D. said...

Tanner is lucky to have a mom as dedicated as you!

Me said...

I'm pretty sure we have the same stylist. :)